Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lewis hits back to back 9 darters in Japan

Options
  • 24-06-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

This was posted by John McDonald on Twitter:
    9_D0_F4031_03_F0_4192_A71_D_553_AD635_D74_F_zpstdiudict.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It should be said that it was Soft tip darts...the trebles and doubles are a good bit bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭buster180

Forget it so :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

gramar wrote:
    It should be said that it was Soft tip darts...the trebles and doubles are a good bit bigger.

I've never played or even seen a soft tip board, Are they that much bigger? I mean is a 9 darter much of an achievement in soft tip?

ComfortKid wrote: »
    I've never played or even seen a soft tip board, Are they that much bigger? I mean is a 9 darter much of an achievement in soft tip?

I play soft tip most weeks and I'd say it's not a huge achievement for a pro to hit a nine darter.

A standard board has treble and double segments that are 8mm wide. I'd say on an electronic board they are at least 10mm. That's 25% bigger. The segments seem more accomodating as the 'wire' is beveled helping to guide the dart in. Any bounce outs count once the dart has registered on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Ughh soft tip darts...

• Advertisement

gramar wrote:
    A standard board has treble and double segments that are 8mm wide. I'd say on an electronic board they are at least 10mm. That's 25% bigger. The segments seem more accomodating as the 'wire' is beveled helping to guide the dart in. Any bounce outs count once the dart has registered on the board.

Sounds like my kind of game so because most of my darts end up on the floor!

I was playing last week. I'd hit a single and T20. The last dart caught the other two and fell onto to the floor. I was cursing my luck until I saw a second T20 registered as the last dart had caught the flight of the one in the board.

A couple of years back I got some advice from a seasoned player. He said that with two darts on the bull or treble to throw the last dart sideways. The idea is not to get in it but to hit the other two as they are a bigger target, pushing them into the board and registering. It's not something I've ever tried though. I never have the first two in the bull or treble to begin with!

That actually sounds fairly ridiculous, so the point doesn't even have to hit the board? Technically I could hit back to back 180s with only 2 darts in the board? Isn't the oche a bit further back too? Any difference?

ComfortKid wrote: »
    That actually sounds fairly ridiculous, so the point doesn't even have to hit the board? Technically I could hit back to back 180s with only 2 darts in the board? Isn't the oche a bit further back too? Any difference?

Technically yes. If you stick a dart in the board..say single 20...then tap the back of the flight twice then it will register 3 single twenties. You don't get too many anomalies but I've hit doubles and had the machine say it's outside when it's clearly in. The usual rule is what the machine says goes even if it's clearly wrong.

It's a few inches further but no big deal in terms of distance.
    I play at home on a sisal board and don't notice much difference when I go to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

gramar wrote: »
    I was playing last week. I'd hit a single and T20. The last dart caught the other two and fell onto to the floor. I was cursing my luck until I saw a second T20 registered as the last dart had caught the flight of the one in the board.

A couple of years back I got some advice from a seasoned player. He said that with two darts on the bull or treble to throw the last dart sideways. The idea is not to get in it but to hit the other two as they are a bigger target, pushing them into the board and registering. It's not something I've ever tried though. I never have the first two in the bull or treble to begin with!

Would that work? I know little about soft tip darts but I presume they still have a tungsten barrel therefore quite a bit of weight in 1 side of the dart, so even when thrown sideways the weight distribution will lead the weight to the front when thrown and drag the dart into a "straight" line?

I'm sure theres some scientific,physics explanation for what Im trying to explain but I don't know it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Sounds a bit mad.

Can you buy the boards over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭buster180

mdwexford wrote: »
    Sounds a bit mad.

Can you buy the boards over here?

Yep never played on one myself but tempted to buy one at this price
    http://www.mcsport.ie/p/electronic-dartboard/79511

I took a few photos so you can see the difference between the treble on the standard board and the electronic one. It's a sizeable difference.

You can see too why people shoot at the bull for scoring...the DB and outer are both worth 50 and it's a big target.

I noticed that the number segments are about a cm or so longer on the electronic boards (the distance from the bull to the edge of the double). The single parts are pretty much the same, the difference explained by the treble and double segments being bigger.

Advertisement