Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help regarding PLC (really need some help)

Options
  • 24-06-2015 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Would really, really, really love and appreciate if someone would to reply to this!!

I was wondering if someone could shed some light and ease my panic regarding my CAO and PLC options.

My hope is to study Psychology, but I recently applied for a PLC in Psychology as my Leaving Cert didn't go as well as planned.
    Understandably, since I applied so late, I was offered an interview at Plunkets but at the very end of August. After all the CAO offers finish. Meaning I'll have to reject all offers and put my faith in the PLC before even getting an interview.

My questions are:

- Should I put all my faith in the PLC even after leaving it so late?
    - Or should I forget about psychology and just try to find new interests and change my CAO?

I also emailed Plunkets last week asking for an earlier interview, or some reassurance over whether I'll get the PLC course.
    So far, I've gotten no reply.
    Final questions iss

- Have they finished for the summer or am I being ignored since it's my own fault for leaving it so late?
    - Also do you think theres a possibilty I might get an earlier interview?
    - And how high are the rates of acceptance in PLC's?

Would love some feedback, thank you so, so much already.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would say they have finished for the summer.

I'm not quite clear. Do you have Psychology on your CAO as it stands? Have you similar courses as 2nd choice and lower? Did you apply for level 7 courses?

Your interview is late because they have to see which people that they have already given places to will get 'better' offers on the CAO and leave places open.

For PLCs, they want to see you are able and likely to complete the course. You don't know your points yet, so I wouldn't be giving up on the CAO yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 iesdraob

Firstly, thanks so much for replying.

He only emailed me Friday, and most schools don't finish till the end of this week (my mothers a teacher) so I'm crossing my fingers they are not wrapped up quite yet.

I do have two Psychology courses listed as one and two, both at 510 points each. The rest are unrelated, mostly BA courses.
    There are no Level 7 psychology courses or lower except for private colleges that I just can't afford at €6000 a year.

The reason you said for why my interview is so late is really worrying, I seem like a second choice.
    Except my PLC isn't listed as full, and so others are. Why would I be getting dropping out places if there are places still available? Or maybe I'm just trying to be positive.

Would love more help, thanks again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Plunkets is mainly a second level school, so other than the Principal and DP, I doubt there are many teaching staff in, particularly not PLC staff as their students will have finished up in May.

Usually the PLC interviews are in March and April in the CDETB.

I follow this up with another questions:

Is it possible to accept an offer from the CAO, then reject it (if I get the PLC offer in September)?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

iesdraob wrote: »
    I do have two Psychology courses listed as one and two, both at 510 points each. The rest are unrelated, mostly BA courses.
    Some colleges offer psychology as a BA subject with the option for those who do very well in first year to transfer to the kind of single subject psychology programmes which I assume you're referring to at the end of first year (though it is very competitive for those usually as places are limited) or there may be the option to continue to do a BA in Psy and another subject if you don't get one of those places.

For example:

Maynooth

Galway

Points for omnibus Arts entry are a good bit lower than the 510 you mention: 350 for Maynooth last year; 300 in Galway.

So go do your research properly before the final CAO Change of Mind closes next Wednesday!! ;)

And for heaven's sake rank your courses in the order you WANT them, not by points / how well you felt you did in LC.

The No. 1 slot should be the course you most want, regardless of whether you think you will get the points, and so on.

But having a couple of back-ups in there somewhere on the list may be a good idea, just in case you're right and your LC didn't go as well as you might have hoped.

• Advertisement

Some colleges offer psychology as a BA subject with the option for those who do very well in first year to transfer to the kind of single subject psychology programmes which I assume you're referring to at the end of first year (though it is very competitive for those usually as places are limited) or there may be the option to continue to do a BA in Psy and another subject if you don't get one of those places.

For example:

Points for omnibus Arts entry are a good bit lower than the 510 you mention: 350 for Maynooth last year; 300 in Galway.

So go do your research properly before the final CAO Change of Mind closes next Wednesday!! ;)

And for heaven's sake rank your courses in the order you WANT them, not by points / how well you felt you did in LC.

The No. 1 slot should be the course you most want, regardless of whether you think you will get the points, and so on.

But having a couple of back-ups in there somewhere on the list may be a good idea, just in case you're right and your LC didn't go as well as you might have hoped.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have researched other Universities and Private Colleges.

I have three psychology courses listed as my top three on my CAO. The rest you suggested e.g Maynooth/Galway etc are too far away from me. I would need to move to the area and I just can't afford that. It means my options are limited to my three already in my CAO.
    In otherwords, my no.1-3 slots is the course I want, not the points I think I'll get. But I will rethink more other CAO options more seriously now considering my exams didn't go as expected.

I've researched all the BA's that allow a transfer into Psychology as well but they mostly fall into the categories above (require me to relocate and/or very high points)

I'll have to put my faith in my interview for the PLC possibly being moved earlier before the CAO offers or getting reassurance that places are available for me.

If not, I'll probably just have to accept a CAO offer I am not as passionate about unfortunatley as the gamble and risk to reply on getting a PLC place is too high :(

The rest you suggested e.g Maynooth/Galway etc are too far away from me. I would need to move to the area and I just can't afford that.
    That's a shame, those two in particular are great options for someone whose LC didn't go as well as expected (if it really didn't *), though they do mean putting your nose to the grindstone in first year to be sure of getting what you want.

* People often feel like that in the immediate aftermath, and are pleasantly surprised in August. Always wise to have a back-up plan (or three!) though.

I follow this up with another questions:

Is it possible to accept an offer from the CAO, then reject it (if I get the PLC offer in September)?

Was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this?

That's a shame, those two in particular are great options for someone whose LC didn't go as well as expected (if it really didn't *), though they do mean putting your nose to the grindstone in first year to be sure of getting what you want.

* People often feel like that in the immediate aftermath, and are pleasantly surprised in August. Always wise to have a back-up plan (or three!) though.

I know, they are also seem like fantastic Universities and were recommended to me by people who go there.

I'm constantly being told that, especially as I'm panicking so much! I think I did quite well (in the 400+ area) but I know inside its not good enough to pass the 500+ points barrier unfortunately.

I just really regret not applying for the PLC immediately, it was a combination of my own misguided confidence in myself and also when attending the Plunkets open day I wasn't overly impressed with the facilities.

You can, you'll normally have a week or two before you need to register / pay fees.

It's not ideal, because it means someone else is waiting for a place you may not take up; but you have to look after yourself too. Do please let them know immediately as soon as you know if you are not taking it, for the sake of the person who may get an offer. ;)

With any luck, this may all be moot, and you will know re: your PLC before that ... or you might even surprise yourself and get an offer you really want! ;)

• Advertisement

You can, you'll normally have a week or two before you need to register / pay fees.

It's not ideal, because it means someone else is waiting for a place you may not take up; but you have to look after yourself too. Do please let them know immediately as soon as you know if you are not taking it, for the sake of the person who may get an offer. ;)

With any luck, this may all be moot, and you will know re: your PLC before that ... or you might even surprise yourself and get an offer you really want! ;)

Really? That is a possibility? (in regards to rejecting an accepted CAO offer and taking a PLC) That would be perfect! Sorry to bombard you with more questions but when is the usual date for register / fee payment do you know?

If that happens, I will do it as soon as possible. Would hate to give someone this stress I'm suffocating under.

Haha that is very positive, I'll keep my fingers crossed I do get a Psychology offer!

Think we've covered all that elsewhere by now! :pac:

Think we've covered all that elsewhere by now! :pac:

Yes we have, thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Firstly, thanks so much for replying.

He only emailed me Friday, and most schools don't finish till the end of this week (my mothers a teacher) so I'm crossing my fingers they are not wrapped up quite yet.

There are no Level 7 psychology courses or lower except for private colleges that I just can't afford at €6000 a year.

The reason you said for why my interview is so late is really worrying, I seem like a second choice.
    Except my PLC isn't listed as full, and so others are. Why would I be getting dropping out places if there are places still available? Or maybe I'm just trying to be positive.

Would love more help, thanks again.
    A PLC operates on the same year as second level schools, so they have been closed since the start of the month. There would be admin staff around, but the teachers who do the interviews won't be available until the end of August.

I don't really understand your problem. Just because you have a possibility of a PLC place doesn't mean you have to turn down a CAO offer. Presumably a third level course is your first choice...

katydid wrote: »
    A PLC operates on the same year as second level schools, so they have been closed since the start of the month. There would be admin staff around, but the teachers who do the interviews won't be available until the end of August.

I don't really understand your problem. Just because you have a possibility of a PLC place doesn't mean you have to turn down a CAO offer. Presumably a third level course is your first choice...

The problem is:
    - i won't get the points for my third level courses
    - the plc interview isn't till after all the CAO offers have been given

I didn't realise I could accept a CAO, then get the PLC course and reject the CAO.

The problem is:
    - i won't get the points for my third level courses
    - the plc interview isn't till after all the CAO offers have been given

I didn't realise I could accept a CAO, then get the PLC course and reject the CAO.

Of course you can. I don't know if there's a financial implication involved, in that you may have to put down some kind of deposit on a third level course which may not be refundable. But they are two separate systems, there's nothing stopping you accepting a third level place if you get it and then changing your mind and accepting a PLC place if you get that and feel it would be better for you.

Good luck either way. But I'm afraid you'll have to accept that there will be no interviews until the college opens again at the end of August.

Of course you can. I don't know if there's a financial implication involved, in that you may have to put down some kind of deposit on a third level course which may not be refundable. But they are two separate systems, there's nothing stopping you accepting a third level place if you get it and then changing your mind and accepting a PLC place if you get that and feel it would be better for you.

Good luck either way. But I'm afraid you'll have to accept that there will be no interviews until the college opens again at the end of August.

I'll have to deal with financial implications since its my own fault for applying so late, but it will be worth it for my dream course.

Thank you so much for the help, very much appreciate it. :)

I'll have to deal with financial implications since its my own fault for applying so late, but it will be worth it for my dream course.

Thank you so much for the help, very much appreciate it. :)

I'm sure it'll all work out. At least you know exactly what it is you want. I teach in a PLC, and I see lots of people using FETAC courses to get to third level.
    If you do take that route, don't see it as a lesser choice; the year will help you to prepare for third level. You'll learn to research, write constructively, and to work independently, and all of that will give you an advantage when you go to third level.

Best of luck.

I'm sure it'll all work out. At least you know exactly what it is you want. I teach in a PLC, and I see lots of people using FETAC courses to get to third level.
    If you do take that route, don't see it as a lesser choice; the year will help you to prepare for third level. You'll learn to research, write constructively, and to work independently, and all of that will give you an advantage when you go to third level.

Best of luck.

Thank you very much :)

Advertisement