Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eczema or dribble/drool rash?

Options
  • 24-06-2015 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Or is it the same thing??

My 8 month old has a mild rash on his cheeks that's been there a while . It's not very noticeable. I thought it was teething related and didn't really treat it as it's so mild. Lately I've noticed it's spread to under his chin which is worse. Now he does dribble and or spill water from his beaker sometimes and I perhaps have not been careful to always keep him dry under his chin ( bad parent).

I asked tge pharmacist who suggested just dousing him with aqueous cream. I've been doing this a few days which is not working yet I find it hard to administer as it rubs off when he has clothes on as it's an awkward spot. It seems to help his cheeks but it's easier to stay on than under his chin. He doesn't even like the face cloth there and clams his chin down tight so the cream is even worse!

Am reluctant to bring him to GP with this just yet. Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah drool. So many things just love that moist warm environment of a drooling baby. If it's there more than 2 weeks, or it's bothering him, I'd bring him to the doctor.

The barrier cream would stop things getting wet, but if there's already something set in, like a fungal infection, a bit of treatment might sort it out. I don't know what age those OTC fungal creams are for... could ask the pharmacist about those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Not bothering him. Went to chemist again who gave me a dif cream. La Roche posey cica past . will try it a few days and see. Nuisance where it is as can't leave it free in the air for long as he needs his vest on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Don't bother with those creams (La Roche post etc) But yourself a tube of Lansinoh nipple cream and put a small bit of it on baby's chin at night - it'll be gone by morning! Plus it's safe for baby to eat since it's nipple cream so no need to worry if your baby licks it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My little one has an eczema patch under her chin, it's from the formula. on the days she has fewer bottles it's not as angry looking but it doesn't fully go away. She's 7 months and has 2-3 bottles a day but mostly breastfeeding. its lactose free formula as she wouldn't drink the nutramigen. She also has a patch on her arm and on on her ankle. They don't bother her much but I use coconut oil on her daily and I've just gotten the Moo goo nappy balm and I'm using that under her chin as a barrier, it's soothing it so far as its not as angry looking.
    Family history of eczema, linked to dairy and wheat so weaning is great fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

I find Vaseline brill for this, put it on a few times a day and no rash from drool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I always use bepanthen or weleda calendula nappy cream for that kind of rash

I've put the nappy balm on and no joy, she started scratching it and it bled a little on Saturday night, the balm kept it covered but I doubt it'll clear up until she's off the bottle. She's not a drooler so it's definitely not wetness causing it.. It's like a big smile rash on the double bit of her chin :(
    Pears and apples seem to make it flare up worse, so I'm just putting the coconut oil on it all the time.
    I did read that dried marigold leaves warmed in the coconut oil is brilliant for eczema, I've sourced some and going to try this.. It's all trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

The cico plast worked. 5 days later it's gone but I need to keep applying a barrier I'd say.

Number 2 tooth has cut through and the rash has died down, not gone completely but a lot less angry.. Still just using coconut oil, all her other little patches are gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

My fella has about 20 (ok 2) neck folds that were going a bit pink/red for a while (he is quite chunky). Trying to clean him better after feeding and putting on aquaphor seemed to help. I found sitting him up and dangling a toy above him made him lift his head up so I could swoop in at his neck. Otherwise it was impossible to get in there

Also, don't feel too bad about a chin rash. We froze our child's cheek. Literally. Froze it. Over the winter it got down to -17 C here and while we had him super wrapped up in lots of layers, snow suit and fleecy bag in the stroller with a screen down over the stroller, it wasn't enough. unbeknown to us, that cold can freeze the fat in a bare baby's cheek and damage it. Cold panniculitis it's called, our doc picked it up at his 4 month check up. His cheek did look pink and felt hard but I had put it down to teething! He's fine now though, it cleared up, thankfully!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

Baby bottom balm. It is all organic and natural and absolutely brilliant for any kind of rash and or eczema. I swear by it.

I've just discovered that bananas make my little girls rash worse, just discovered last week, and if I eat a lot of wheat too it gets a bit more raw looking.

Advertisement