Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refusing formula

Options
  • 24-06-2015 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

As the title says. My ten month old is refusing formula point blank. He cries if I even produce a milk filled bottle but will take a water bottle no problem.

He had a tummy bug last week. Just the runs and off food. No vomiting... or at least we think it was a tummy bug. I'm now teasing with the possibility he is just a terrible teether.

But since being off his food. . He's now sorted in the food and nappy departments. But still won't touch formula drooling like a slug and cranky as fook.

He's not going to fade away. He's 2st 2lbs. But nutrition wise should I be worried?

He's usually on a 6 and 8 oz bottle of cow and gate comfort. I've tried follow on ... The number one. .. and cows... All a no go

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Did he get sick/have bad nappies straight after bottles at any stage? I know I was told that milk is quite heavy for them if their tummy is upset. Maybe it's still not quite right?
    My little one does some odd things in the food department when the teeth are at her, tend to just roll with it and it sorts itself out eventually....
    Try watering down the bottles for a start maybe?
    Sorry I'm just throwing out random thoughts here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Could he be teething? My little girl went off her bottles when she was teething - especially when it was those teeth that would touch the bottle.

I wouldn't worry. As soon as the teeth break through they go back on the bottles and drink you out of formula in an attempt to make up for it.

We used to keep bananas in the fridge and mash them up for her. She would eat these with her hands which were a bit softer then the bottles on her teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Dinkie wrote: »
    Could he be teething? My little girl went off her bottles when she was teething - especially when it was those teeth that would touch the bottle.

I wouldn't worry. As soon as the teeth break through they go back on the bottles and drink you out of formula in an attempt to make up for it.

We used to keep bananas in the fridge and mash them up for her. She would eat these with her hands which were a bit softer then the bottles on her teeth.

I do actually think he us teething to be honest. He's an utter nightmare today. I don't remember his sister ever making me want to lock her in the bathroom and run :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Try maybe a cup - see will he take it from that instead. Is calpol helping? I used to find it great

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Boardusername

Hi,
    It sounds like teething to me. Maybe try to rub the teetha granules into the gums before the feed. Hope it helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement