Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Her Story (PC / iOS)

Options
  • 23-06-2015 5:39pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Out tomorrow, and getting a lot of very positive early buzz.

I love the idea for this game, where the player is given access to a desktop and a database of video clips. A really uniquely 'gamey' way of telling a story, and a more credible, grounded version of the similar system employed in Analogue: A Hate Story and its sequel. Only slight concern I'd have is whether the acting will pull off what it needs to, but certainly this is one of the more inventive ways live action video has been used in a game. If it works, it will hopefully offer human behavioural nuances you wouldn't otherwise get without a trip through the uncanny valley!

It's from the guy who did Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, which was a fascinating experiment if limited by its ties to an existing franchise and survival horror tropes (although still brave in its decision to forego combat). Hopefully this will push his interesting narrative ideas in a new direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

I love the idea for this game, where the player is given access to a desktop and a database of video clips. A really uniquely 'gamey' way of telling a story, and a more credible, grounded version of the similar system employed in Analogue: A Hate Story and its sequel. Only slight concern I'd have is whether the acting will pull off what it needs to, but certainly this is one of the more inventive ways live action video has been used in a game. If it works, it will hopefully offer human behavioural nuances you wouldn't otherwise get without a trip through the uncanny valley!

Sadly, hats the first thing that jumped out at me watching the video, it looks like some fair city-esque acting there. Interesting concept though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Played through it last night, amazing game. Had thoughts running through my head all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got it last night and intended to play for 5 mins. Had to close it down 90 minutes later to go to bed. A masterclass in interactive storytelling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have 75% of the files viewed and have to say it's fantastic. Incredibly designed piece of storytelling - that it all pieces together so well, despite the fact individual players will be take off on different strands at different times, shows how carefully crafted it is. Walks a confident line between authored pacing and player agency, somehow. And thankfully the acting is much more convincing in the bigger picture.

Also:
    oh the wind and the rain
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've heard too much about this that I'm going to have to check it out. First time really picking up a PC game since I don't have a gaming one.

• Advertisement

I've gotten the credits and i have a general gist of the story but I definitely don't feel like I've completed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Played through it last night, amazing game. Had thoughts running through my head all night.

Sorry, I had to laugh when I thought of 'as opposed to what ? '
    What's normally goin on in that noggin ?

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

tok9 wrote: »
    I've gotten the credits and i have a general gist of the story but I definitely don't feel like I've completed it.

It's not really a game you 'complete' in the traditional sense. The holes and mysteries are intergal, and plenty is left up to the player's interpretation. You can easily brute force your way to 100% clips, but the well hidden ones are mostly just coffee clips and lie detector answers ;) That certain key aspects remain unsaid is what lends the game much of its staying power and many of its character subtleties.

Complete was probably the wrong word but what I mean is I thought there was more to what happened.

In the end I really enjoyed the experience. The acting is okay, at times it's good and other times it's bad.

Interested to see if this kicks off a trend of these type of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,552 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is on Android store now for 3.30 euro. Fit anyone who played it on their iphone, is it okay to play on a phone or do he recommend PC instead?

• Advertisement
Advertisement