Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to cheer myself up without blowing the lot

Options
  • 23-06-2015 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Soooooooooooo

Ive just entered into 3 months unemployment after i was made reduntant from an IT sales job after 4half years.....i keep getting to last stages but always one better/more qualified.....feeling a bit down or pissed off this week so open to suggestions on how to cheer myself up..im bored of walking the dog in the local park to see the MILF's :)

Suggestions need to be normal as im trying my best to save redundancy as a deposit on a house in due course....also the dog might want to tag along...dunno about the cat

People in similar- how do ye survive..mentally i mean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Apply for jobs when you get up. Then chill and enjoy the weather while its here. You'll pick up work soon. Join a gym maybe. Or meet friends for lunch. Get outta the house though. That'll drive ya mad

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Thread title suggested self fellatio.....no sign of it in the OP ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

go traveling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Go ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I restored a mini from bare shell and did the mongol rally when I was in that situation... A good project with a set deadline can easily eat up all your bored time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Go ****.

After 5 times it gets kinda meh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Ways to cheer myself up without blowing the lot?

Don't try tantric sex or you will.

If laundry is a problem, try karezza while listening to Donna Summer or Millie Jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

My advice OP, to hell with buying a house. Don't enslave yourself and put a noose around you neck with a life long mortgage. Take some of your redundancy and enjoy yourself. Life is just too short for financial enslavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

kfallon wrote: »
    Thread title suggested self fellatio.....no sign of it in the OP ffs!

OP needs to become more flexible to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Buy a caravan or mobile home. See it is like a house but on wheels, and cheaper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

VW camper and go on a European festival tour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

VW camper and go on a European festival tour...

I always wanted one of those VW camper vans :(. But they are a pretty rare thing these day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Its a very frequent yet very odd problem to have OP. One which i really think stems from crazy issues in our conditioning.

You have free time now. To do with and experience in any way you like. Its like retirement yet you still have your youth.

Why is your time not being spent enjoying it rather thsn passing it?
    Like self inprovement, physically,mentally,emotional.
    Relationships. Friendships. Family. New people.
    Hobbies n passions?

This is literally your life going by, there'll never be a time in your future where you will be fulfilled if you arent now.
    I hit this bump before. It very plainly raised the question : what do i like to do?... to which the answer was.. i dont know. I hadnt learnt how to enjoy my time with my self yet. Maybe its the same?

Hobbies are wonderful. Ones you do for the sake of doing rather than completing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've been laid off myself. 2 months into a permanent gig I emigrated for. I know how it feels.

My advice would be to use your mornings when you're most alert to apply for jobs. Commit to a target, say apply for a job daily or spend a half an hour minimum looking. It's disheartening I know but if you can set an achievable goal, it'll help mentally. I'd also look into doing some exercise to improve your mood and maybe try reading a few good books as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Plus 1 to what Anca said. I would say it's better to send one or two quality tailored applications rather than loads of generic ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Nobody has mentioned a sixpack daily before breakfast.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If you can afford not to work for a few months (3 months is very specific, so are you on forced gardening leave or have a job lines up for September?) then there is no reason to be bored.

If you are unfit, use the time to get fitter. If you are single (or can bring someone), use the time to travel, even for a few weeks of it. Learn a new skill, read, catch up on tv shows, do a course (even online) that might help you in future in your career, buy a bike and take long cycles if the weather is decent, learn to cook or improve your skills at it if you can cook a bit.

There are a million things that can be done, and if anyone is out of work and not too broke to do any of the above (and some are very cheap) then they suffer from a lack of imagination or a very short attention span.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Buy an Emu!

Name me one person that bought an Emu with part of their redundancy and regretted it. Can't, can ye? That should tell you all you need to know.

5starpool wrote: »
    If you can afford not to work for a few months (3 months is very specific, so are you on forced gardening leave or have a job lines up for September?) then there is no reason to be bored.

If you are unfit, use the time to get fitter. If you are single (or can bring someone), use the time to travel, even for a few weeks of it. Learn a new skill, read, catch up on tv shows, do a course (even online) that might help you in future in your career, buy a bike and take long cycles if the weather is decent, learn to cook or improve your skills at it if you can cook a bit.

There are a million things that can be done, and if anyone is out of work and not too broke to do any of the above (and some are very cheap) then they suffer from a lack of imagination or a very short attention span.

No... Im unemployed 3 mths after redundancy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you no longer work in IT sales job, i would have thought that'd be reason if any to cheer you up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Go live somewhere cheap and sunny for a few months. Come back buzzing. If you're applying for sales jobs it'll come down to your mood and personality rather than qualifications. If you impress them, job's yours.

Need your mojo back to be selling wireless mice, those floppy rubber keyboards, web cams and monitor wipes op :)

fryup wrote: »
    you no longer work in IT sales job, i would have thought that'd be reason if any to cheer you up

Would love to get out of it but its not that easy.....most places want experience in whichever role..im qualfied in management from college and thats v heavy on experience..ive no real interest im going bk to college

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Put it all on red!!!

Advertisement