Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Chance Student?

Options
  • 23-06-2015 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

So to start, my grant application go refused because my income was generated at "€70,232". I had my father down as earning 42,000 and my mother down as earning 5,000. NO idea how they are totally this to 70,000.

But none the less, in the email I received back from SUSI, this was written.

"As per your refusal letter you were also refused on the grounds of having previously studied at the level you wish to pursue.
    If a student leaves a course without gaining a qualification and subsequently wishes to return to further/ higher education, they may have to complete an equivalent period of study at that level before being eligible for a grant from SUSI.

You may be treated as a Second Chance student if you have had a full 5 year break in studies prior to the start date of your new course. However, as you have studied on a course that led to a major award on the National Framework of Qualifications within the last 5 years, you are not eligible as a Second Chance student."

I attended college in 2009 as a 17 year old and left. I didn't receive any form of grant for that period. Since then, in 2013/2014 I did a FETAC level 5 and in 2014/2015 I did a FETAC level 6. I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but are they saying because I left college before I was even shaving properly, I can't enter college (even though it was 6 years ago)? I may have qualified as a second chance student, but because I did the relevant courses to qualify me for my current course that is somehow a negative thing?

Anyone know what the deal with this is? I was really surprised to see it rejected because by my maths, I was under the reckoner's full fee grant by a few thousand, so worse case scenario I thought they'd cover 50% of the student contribution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

I don't think that the FETAC level 5 has any bearing on this, it's the FETAC level 6 that you completed last year that is rendering you ineligible. On the National Framework of Qualifications it is NFQ level 6, putting it on a par with Year 1 of a degree course and hence SUSI won't pay out if they view you as repeating at a given NFQ level rather than progressing.

Was your FETAC level 6 qualification a Major award or a Minor/Special Purpose award? Also, and I'm assuming you're starting a degree in September, is there any chance of direct entry into year 2 of the degree course based on your FETAC studies and/or and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

The Fetac/PLC level 5 and 6 you attended were both major awards other wise you may have qualified as a second chance student.
    Major awards on the NFQ start at level 5, not 6.
    Therefore you are not eligible for funding unless you take a further 5 year break from you studies or enter a course at year 2.

Also it does not matter what amount of income you enter on your application as SUSI has direct links with both Revenue and the Department of Social Welfare, they get your income from these links. Therefore based on the income returned from these departments, you are over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ConfusedGuy92

Sup08 wrote: »
    The Fetac/PLC level 5 and 6 you attended were both major awards other wise you may have qualified as a second chance student.
    Major awards on the NFQ start at level 5, not 6.
    Therefore you are not eligible for funding unless you take a further 5 year break from you studies or enter a course at year 2.

Also it does not matter what amount of income you enter on your application as SUSI has direct links with both Revenue and the Department of Social Welfare, they get your income from these links. Therefore based on the income returned from these departments, you are over the limit.

According to my dad who has to do his hours and wages at the end of every month, there's no chance he was earning 57k a year so that's bizarre. 57k is really high as well and I can tell you man, considering that for about 3 weeks we were reduced to stealing teabags out of his work since we couldnt buy any, 57k seems a bit much lol.

Thanks for the replies guys. Talking to the woman, it seems their main problem is that I wanted to do a level 7. I did a level 7 in 09/10 so that's apparently a big deal to then. It's annoying since I'll have to do a course I dont want to do at level 8 then.

What would change if I jumped into second year in stead do you guys know? I got full distinctions in my level 6 so I'm sure I qualify for whatever I might need to.

What would change if I jumped into second year in stead do you guys know? I got full distinctions in my level 6 so I'm sure I qualify for whatever I might need to.

If you jumped into second year of a level 7 you may would have to request a review of the income as you are currently over the threshold.

Also, you must be entering second year of a level 8 to be eligible as well. You are not eligible for year 1 of a level 8 unless you qualify at level 7.

If you jumped into second year of a level 7 you may would have to request a review of the income as you are currently over the threshold.

Also, you must be entering second year of a level 8 to be eligible as well. You are not eligible for year 1 of a level 8 unless you qualify at level 7.

Sorry I'm lost on this :D

I would be eligible to enter either Level 8 or Level 7, probably second year of either. We were actually advised from our lecturer to push to get into third year. I'd assume I'm eligible anyways in getting the maximum of 400 points from my level 6 PLC.

I'm just not sure on their rules. If I was to enter a Level 8 course, (after dropping out of a level 7 in 2009), would I qualify in that respect?

If I was to enter second year of a Level 7 course, would that mean I'm still progressing from the 2009 one?

• Advertisement

What year did you drop out of the level 7 in 2009?

What year did you drop out of the level 7 in 2009?

At the end of first year. So really it was 2010 that I dropped out.

It looks like this will be my only problem now. I saw that the cut off age is 23 to be classed as an independent student. As I will (apparently) be getting the full BTEA, I'd be moved out from my parents home from September onwards of this year, which could mean I can be classed as independent for next year and it won't be means tested to my parents. I'll probably be able to get a student loan to cover me for the first year and the grant would pay the fees for the second year.

So that leaves this as the problem. SUSI has stopped replying to my emails which didn't make too much difference because all they were doing was copy and pasting vague blocks of text which I was asking for clarification on to no avail.

So the summary is:-

I attended a Level 7 course for the full 2009/2010 year before dropping out.
    I returned to college for a Level 5 course in 2013/2014.
    I then did a Level 6 course in 2014/2015.

I want to do a Level 7 course now in Games Development, which is what I'm intending to move on into, but if Level 7 is a problem I could do a Level 8 course in Computing.

I saw that the cut off age is 23 to be classed as an independent student. As I will (apparently) be getting the full BTEA, I'd be moved out from my parents home from September onwards of this year, which could mean I can be classed as independent for next year and it won't be means tested to my parents. I'll probably be able to get a student loan to cover me for the first year and the grant would pay the fees for the second year.

AFAIK you won't be able to start as a dependent and then change to being considered independent the following year. They count your status in the year of entry for the duration of your studies.

I'd be moved out from my parents home from September onwards of this year, which could mean I can be classed as independent for next year and it won't be means tested to my parents. I'll probably be able to get a student loan to cover me for the first year and the grant would pay the fees for the second year.
    As said above.

You are classed at your point of entry and cannot change your class until you take a further break in your studies of 3 years.
    As you did not live independently from October 2014, you will be classed as a Dependant if you enter Higher Education this year.
    The only way you can apply as an independent, is to live from October this year independently and don't attend any studies. You can then be re-classed as an independent student upon re-entry to Higher Education in 2016 as long as you are 23 or over before the 1st January 2016.

I know. When I said "next year" I meant for the 2016/2017 college year.

For this year I'm not going to be eligible, but based on the info above, would I be eligible next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Shineyjojo

Hi im in a similar position and need some advice . Did one year of a level 8 over 5 years. No grant self funded. Have done one level 5 since just last year. Was sent letter saying grant refused as done level 8. They then said as it was 5 years it would be OK but since I've now just completed a level 5 it was not OK?!! I'm confused as tutors said level 5 did not matter? Do they not matter for others just for 2 chance students?I've already been offered place on course which is level 6. Should I appeal it or is it very black and white? I know others have applied for grant and got it even after doing a level 5.. Was not expecting a refusal on these grounds at all.

At the end of first year. So really it was 2010 that I dropped out.

It looks like this will be my only problem now. I saw that the cut off age is 23 to be classed as an independent student. As I will (apparently) be getting the full BTEA, I'd be moved out from my parents home from September onwards of this year, which could mean I can be classed as independent for next year and it won't be means tested to my parents. I'll probably be able to get a student loan to cover me for the first year and the grant would pay the fees for the second year.

So that leaves this as the problem. SUSI has stopped replying to my emails which didn't make too much difference because all they were doing was copy and pasting vague blocks of text which I was asking for clarification on to no avail.

So the summary is:-

I attended a Level 7 course for the full 2009/2010 year before dropping out.
    I returned to college for a Level 5 course in 2013/2014.
    I then did a Level 6 course in 2014/2015.

I want to do a Level 7 course now in Games Development, which is what I'm intending to move on into, but if Level 7 is a problem I could do a Level 8 course in Computing.

To quote the good Reverend Lovejoy; short answer, "yes" with an "if." Long answer, "no" with a "but." You can use the below points to fight your case with SUSI, the SUSI Appeal Board or eventually the Dept. of Education if it comes to it. In my experience (which is not dissimilar to yours) eligibility is unfortunately not black or white and many of us (myself included) had to jump into courses without a guarantee of eligibility with the full knowledge that the finances just weren't there to complete the studies without grant assistance...

First off I can't see any reason it should make a difference whether you do a level 7 or level 8. Second off you are not a so-called Second Chance Student as you did have the two FETAC awards during your 5-year break. However you can demonstrate and IMO argue for progression - section 15 is the relevant bit of the official Student Grant Scheme 2015 act for you (did you want a side of a Law Degree with your Games Development course? :) )
    15.(b) Having previously attended, but not completed, any undergraduate course at Level 6 or 7 of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent, an applicant shall—

(i) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved undergraduate course at Level 6 or 7 of the framework of qualifications before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (ii) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved undergraduate course at Level 8 of the framework of qualifications before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (iii) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved post leaving certificate course where no more than one year was completed on an undergraduate course at Level 6 or 7 of the framework of qualifications, or
    (iv) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved post leaving certificate course where more than one year was completed on any undergraduate course at Level 6 or 7 of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent, before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (v) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved postgraduate course.

i.e. having attended Year 1 of the Level 7 course back in 2009/2010, you subsequently completed an equivalent period of study on an approved undergraduate course at your own cost/without SUSI funding (I'm referring to your Level 6 FETAC course, which on the NFQ scale should be equivalent to Year 1 of a Level 7 course). Which by my reckoning renders you eligible subject to 17.(4):
    17.(4) The progression conditions in respect of study at Level 7 of the framework of qualifications are as follows—
    (a) a student or tuition student who is entering for the first time a course leading to a higher education and training award, and who wishes to pursue an approved course at Level 7 of the framework of qualifi- cations, shall be eligible for a grant;
    (b) a student or tuition student is ineligible if he or she already holds a third level qualification at or above Level 7 of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent;
    (c) a student or tuition student who already holds a higher education and training award at Level 6 of the framework of qualifications or equivalent and is progressing to an approved course at Level 7 of the framework of qualifications shall be eligible for a grant in respect of a maximum of two years of an approved course at Level 7 of the framework of qualifications;
    (d) a student or tuition student who completed part of a course at Level 6 of the framework of qualifications or equivalent and gains admission through exemption to the second or subsequent year of an approved course at Level 7 of the framework of qualifications shall be eligible for a grant;

Hence, if you can manage to gain direct entry to year 2 or 3 of the course you would demonstrate progression in your studies and also satisfy (c) from above in that you would be eligible for 2 years of grant assistance (i.e. Year 2 and Year 3 of the Level 7 course). I am open to correction from more knowledgeable posters on this, especially someone who has achieved a grant using these articles.

However, as Sup08 said, the issue of SUSI determining you to be over the reckonable income limit still exists. Which you will need to address if you intends on starting your degree in September 2015/2016 as for that year and all subsequent years of the degree you will be classed as a dependent student regardless of whether you move out and become independent in the interim. Remember that the reckonable income can include:

(a) Income from employment (including benefit-in-kind and directorships),
    (b) Social welfare payments,
    (c) Payments from other government departments or state agencies,
    (d) Self-employment or farming,
    (e) Rental and other income from land and property,
    (f) Income from pensions other than the social welfare state pension,
    (g) Income from savings, deposit accounts and investments,
    (h) Income from maintenance arrangements,
    (i) Lump sum payments from retirement and redundancy,
    (j) Income from the disposal of assets or rights,
    (k) Gifts and inheritances,
    (l) Income from other sources not mentioned above.

and as was previously said, SUSI have access to information from other government bodies regarding all of the above.

If you decide to delay starting college till September 2016/2017 the income factor should not be an issue provided you move out and (most importantly) manage to get proof of independent living no later than 1st October of this year. I have noticed that they can be very picky about the type of proof which can be difficult to obtain if, like most of us, you intend to move out into a houseshare where getting a utility bill/rental contract in your name can prove very difficult. I would assume your independent income would be well under the applicable thresholds. Only sucky part is sitting around twiddling your thumbs for a year when you could be studying...

Cheers mate a lot of this helped.

I'm 100% not eligible this year, which is really annoying for 2 reasons.

1. I would be eligible had I not done a level 6 course, as I would not have been in receipt of Back to Education Allowance which wouldn't have been put on my earnings.

2. I would be eligible if they took rent into account in the grant, as if you deduct rent from my father's earnings we are under the limit. They do this with the social payments so I dunno why it's not part of the grant scheme.

The problem with what you said at the end is me moving out requires me going to college. I don't get anywhere near enough money to move out, and if I was to get a job to cover it well for some odd reason that's basically saying goodbye to any hope of getting into college next year anyways.

If I was to attend first year of college this year, moving out before October as I do, that would satisfy my income problem. I would be able to live there as I'd be in receipt of BTEA which would pay the rent, bills and food etc. I'd get a loan out to cover the student contribution fee of 3 grand.

The problem then lies with second year. Would I be eligible for a grant based on the whole second chance/whatever you call the first problem thing if I had already completed the first year of the course? Would it matter if I did Level 7 or Level 8 or if this year I went into second year over first year or anything?

Cheers mate a lot of this helped.

I'm 100% not eligible this year, which is really annoying for 2 reasons.

1. I would be eligible had I not done a level 6 course, as I would not have been in receipt of Back to Education Allowance which wouldn't have been put on my earnings.

2. I would be eligible if they took rent into account in the grant, as if you deduct rent from my father's earnings we are under the limit. They do this with the social payments so I dunno why it's not part of the grant scheme.

The problem with what you said at the end is me moving out requires me going to college. I don't get anywhere near enough money to move out, and if I was to get a job to cover it well for some odd reason that's basically saying goodbye to any hope of getting into college next year anyways.

If I was to attend first year of college this year, moving out before October as I do, that would satisfy my income problem. I would be able to live there as I'd be in receipt of BTEA which would pay the rent, bills and food etc. I'd get a loan out to cover the student contribution fee of 3 grand.

The problem then lies with second year. Would I be eligible for a grant based on the whole second chance/whatever you call the first problem thing if I had already completed the first year of the course? Would it matter if I did Level 7 or Level 8 or if this year I went into second year over first year or anything?

Unfortunately on that I am 100% certain, even if you don't apply for assistance to SUSI for 2015/2016, move out and pay for accommodation/fees by yourself etc you will still be classed as a Dependent student when you apply to SUSI for 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 (and 2018/2019 if going for the level 8, which doesn't change anything afaik) as you were Dependent when you started back to undergraduate studies (i.e. that you were still living at home in October 2014). It really is the case that you have to move out and establish Independence a full year before going back to college to receive SUSI assistance. This isn't Second Chance/Progression, this is to do with your classification at point of entry/reentry to third-level education:
    13.(2) An applicant's class is defined at their first point of entry to an approved post leaving certificate course or an approved higher education course or at their point of re-entry to such an approved course and will continue to apply for the duration of their studies.

If you were to find a job and move out for a year, would it be the end of the world? Annoying, yes... I did just this for a couple of years until I became eligible for SUSI assistance as third level just wasn't an option for me otherwise. Almost killed me... and I'm still recovering bits of my soul to this day...

You could use the year for self-directed study in your spare time to bolster your existing knowledge and do your damnedest to gain direct entry to year 3 of the degree. With your FETAC's you might even stand a chance of a job somewhat relevant to your field. Once your individual income doesn't exceed the €49,840 threshold you would receive the full student contribution from SUSI.

Other options, part-time/evening/online courses?

Get onto your university/Institute of Technology to ascertain how feasible direct entry to Year 3 of the degree is for September 2015 ... that way you would only have to pay for one years worth of student contribution via part time job / loan.

Lastly, maybe you could apply to the Student Assistance Fund at your chosen university/IoT? They may well be able to assist, especially in cases where there is obvious financial hardship and academic excellence on the part of the applicant.

You are not eligible to be considered as second chance student until you take a break of 5 years from the last course you attended.
    Therefore this would mean you must not enter any education that leads to a major award on the NFQ (including apprenticeships NFQ 6) until the academic year 2020/2021. So you should forget about the second chance student route, unless you are going to wait until then.

If you want to be re-classed as an independent mature student, you need to be entering second year in the academic year 16/17 without attending/going to college this year and move out of the family home and live from independently from 1st October 2015. You must also be over 23 before the 1st January 2016.

If you go to college this year and enter first year, you do not qualify for a grant and you enter classed as a dependent student no matter where you live, even if you move out in October. You still remain classed as a dependent. You should have been living independently from October 2014 to be classed any different.

There are very few outgoings deducted from any reckonable income other than contributions towards pensions that are allowed tax relief from Revenue.

Some self employed people or landlords are allowed to deduct losses from one income against another income, but rental income can only be offset against other rental income.

On top of this, you haven't said if you are even over 23 before the 1st of January 2015, which also determines if you can apply as an independent even if you did live independently from October 2014.

Shineyjojo wrote: »
    Hi im in a similar position and need some advice . Did one year of a level 8 over 5 years. No grant self funded. Have done one level 5 since just last year. Was sent letter saying grant refused as done level 8. They then said as it was 5 years it would be OK but since I've now just completed a level 5 it was not OK?!! I'm confused as tutors said level 5 did not matter? Do they not matter for others just for 2 chance students?I've already been offered place on course which is level 6. Should I appeal it or is it very black and white? I know others have applied for grant and got it even after doing a level 5.. Was not expecting a refusal on these grounds at all.

Hi Shineyjojo, have a read of the information in the previous posts, it may be of use to you.

Shineyjojo wrote: »

Did you apply to do a level 8 or a level 6?

If you applied to do a Level 8 it would be refused for a repeat period of study for the previous year 1 of a Level 8

If you applied to attend a Higher Certificate Level 6, it would be refused for a repeat Period of Study because of the previous Level 8.

If you applied to do a Fetac Level 6, it should not have been refused and you should ask for a review of your application before you appeal.

Unfortunately on that I am 100% certain, even if you don't apply for assistance to SUSI for 2015/2016, move out and pay for accommodation/fees by yourself etc you will still be classed as a Dependent student when you apply to SUSI for 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 (and 2018/2019 if going for the level 8, which doesn't change anything afaik) as you were Dependent when you started back to undergraduate studies (i.e. that you were still living at home in October 2014). It really is the case that you have to move out and establish Independence a full year before going back to college to receive SUSI assistance. This isn't Second Chance/Progression, this is to do with your classification at point of entry/reentry to third-level education:

If you were to find a job and move out for a year, would it be the end of the world? Annoying, yes... I did just this for a couple of years until I became eligible for SUSI assistance as third level just wasn't an option for me otherwise. Almost killed me... and I'm still recovering bits of my soul to this day...

You could use the year for self-directed study in your spare time to bolster your existing knowledge and do your damnedest to gain direct entry to year 3 of the degree. With your FETAC's you might even stand a chance of a job somewhat relevant to your field. Once your individual income doesn't exceed the €49,840 threshold you would receive the full student contribution from SUSI.

Other options, part-time/evening/online courses?

Get onto your university/Institute of Technology to ascertain how feasible direct entry to Year 3 of the degree is for September 2015 ... that way you would only have to pay for one years worth of student contribution via part time job / loan.

Lastly, maybe you could apply to the Student Assistance Fund at your chosen university/IoT? They may well be able to assist, especially in cases where there is obvious financial hardship and academic excellence on the part of the applicant.

Unfortunately, as far as college goes, that would be the end of the world since my BTEA would be wiped if I got a job for a year.

So even though every single aspect of my entire situation would be changed, it wouldn't matter because I started college already? I can't even think of a single reason as to why that is.

I'll try the Student Assistance Fund thing. Failing that, it might just be time to draw a line under it all and ship of to the UK for college. The system in Ireland is so amazing, but for some reason I just have always been out of reach of it. It was the case when I was 17, is the case when I'm 23. I'd have preferred to have studied in Ireland (also cause I already paid my despot on the house) but from the looks of everything, I won't be eligible for a grant any year and I won't be able to get BTEA and pay my student contribution any year. I'd be relying on finding work once I got to college which, if I was unable to do so in week 1, the house of cards falls down as I can't pay my rent without it.

This year I guess I'll try and get a job and move out. That eh....sounds enjoyable :D. I just hate that I waited like 3 years until I was eligible for BTEA (on the advice of my Jobs Club course runner). I then did a PLC course so I could sort of "transition" back into education. I do fantastic in that, but it doesn't matter that I've been waiting 5 years to get into college, have a couple of certs under my belt etc. because something is always going to hold me back from getting what every 17 year old fresh out of school gets. Easy to bitch and moan but fuk it, if people are going to be handing out money to you for free you can't stop and say "Well Steve got more?".

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AlabarAlSol

Hi folks,

I'm a little confused. Can a level 5 really effect an application?

My situation:
    I studied in the UK at advanced entry (direct to second year).
    I didn't finish the degree though. Just was not going to take it anywhere tbh.
    It'll be 5 years since finishing it there in March and I am hoping to go do Computer Science.

Only being honest, this waiting is god awful. So I put my name down for a Computer Science relative level 5 that seems to be on the FETAC entry route list for my desired Uni.
    Having read this thread now I am concerned, would it really effect my second chance student status just to do something that could really bolster my application?

Any advisement would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Hi folks,

I'm a little confused. Can a level 5 really effect an application?

My situation:
    I studied in the UK at advanced entry (direct to second year).
    I didn't finish the degree though. Just was not going to take it anywhere tbh.
    It'll be 5 years since finishing it there in March and I am hoping to go do Computer Science.

Only being honest, this waiting is god awful. So I put my name down for a Computer Science relative level 5 that seems to be on the FETAC entry route list for my desired Uni.
    Having read this thread now I am concerned, would it really effect my second chance student status just to do something that could really bolster my application?

Any advisement would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

I can't remember my situation fully, but I believe a problem with me was that I had just done a Level 5 and Level 6 so I wasn't eligible as a Second Chance Student.

If anyone else happens to have any of the problems I've had in this thread, I'll post up my current plan. Of course, something will go wrong, but it's my last year of hoping it works out so maybe the Gods will shine down on me for once haha.

I'm applying for SAAS funding to go to Scotland. I have a hilarious issue with this. I was born in Scotland, and my last passport was a British one. Scotland works heavily off of residency though, so I don't really qualify as a "Home student". That's not a problem though, as I've lived in Ireland for 12 years. Unfortunately, as I've never switched nationality or held an Irish passport, I'm not technically a "European student" either. So I'm somewhere in the middle. I think I actually have to become an Irish citizen to return home to Scotland. Finding the 1 grand to cover that is gonna be hell but it's not unobtainable.

I'm also applying for BTEA. I believe I can still get BTEA while in an approved UK third level college, which I will be. This means I can't work for the year, which sucks, but I don't want to go to Scotland and instantly be like "So either I find a job which accommodates my entire college schedule....or I go home and all of this was for nothing". I'd like to have the BTEA to make sure that if I can't get a job, I'll still have my rent paid for.

There are a lot of options out there anyways. I just happen to always have stupid problems with them, but for the majority of people, myself excluded, there isn't really an excuse to not follow these pursuits if those are what you want to do.

I might also apply for an Irish college and the SUSI grant as well in case. If I'm correct, which I'm probably not, when I'm 24 I'll no longer be tied to my parent's earnings so I might be able to get in there too. I'd prefer to go the Scottish route after my hell with Irish grants but it's nice to have the backup if I need it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement