Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beta readers

Options
  • 22-06-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how I get a professional Beta reader, and how much does their service cost? Or, do people use friends for their Beta readers?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Is it for a novel or a short story (or a poem!)?

If you're looking for a professional reader's report by a published novelist, writing.ie do a paid service. Not sure of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Is it for a novel or a short story (or a poem!)?

If you're looking for a professional reader's report by a published novelist, writing.ie do a paid service. Not sure of the cost.

Its for a novel. I'd rather not use writing.ie.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Friends are crap beta readers. They'll tell you what they think you want to hear. It's best, if you can, to get a professional reader to give you a report. Someone who's successfully worked a novel through from start to finish.

You could get into a feedback exchange with another writer doing the same thing. It can be difficult to find someone you mesh with, whose writing you can get along with, and who gives and takes feedback well.

There are also review sites to consider. You upload a chunk of it and give and receive feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cassandra1

I used the service of Jasmine Kallay for my script. She has also written a book called Beat Girl.

as a new user i am not allowed to give the url but just pop her name in with no spaces and dot com

Good luck

Cassandra

Mod edit: Here you go: http://jasminakallay.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Cassandra1 wrote: »
    I used the service of Jasmine Kallay for my script. She has also written a book called Beat Girl.

as a new user i am not allowed to give the url but just pop her name in with no spaces and dot com

Good luck

Cassandra

Mod edit: Here you go: http://jasminakallay.com/

Thanks so much, I've sent her an email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I use friends and fans as beta readers. The trick is to tell them that you want them to tell you everything they don't like about the novel. Tell you what is boring, confusing, doesn't make sense. What characters do they not like? What factual mistakes did they notice? What annoys them about it?

Tell them that the more brutal they are, the happier you'll be.

Normally, I'll use about six beta readers, ones with different interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Remind them that their job is not to tell you how to fix anything, just to tell you the bits they didn't like. Your job is to fix it.

Advertisement