Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customizing your keyboard

Options
  • 22-06-2015 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

does anyone know an easy way to make keyboard shortcuts

For example, i want to turn the volume up/down on my computer by pressing F7 or F8 but I would like to do it without pressing the Fn key

Also is there a way to set Windows 8 to have Num lock on when laptop starts up? I use a pin to log into windows and having to switch on num lock seems like an unnecessary step each time logging in

Any other tips or tricks out there worth shouting out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

First of all it would depend on the type of keyboard you are using. For example some keyboards have software that allows them to be customised to various set ups.

For custom shortcuts you could use this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14249/create-custom-windows-key-keyboard-shortcuts-in-windows/

Regarding the num lock:

Try:
    Control Panel => Hardware and Sound => Power Options => System Settings
    Uncheck (Turn on fast startup).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 don023

Thanks Ant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

http://ahkscript.org/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoHotkey

"AutoHotkey (AHK) is a free, open-source macro-creation and automation software for Windows that allows users to automate repetitive tasks. It is driven by a scripting language that was initially aimed at providing keyboard shortcuts, otherwise known as hotkeys, that over time evolved into a full-fledged scripting language."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

So I have a couple of questions on AHK if anyone would know!?

Firstly I want to use AHK to emulate the keyboard with my mouse. I use a mouse with Two extra buttons and I have a game from a good few years ago that only recognises 2 buttoned mice. I want to rebind the extra buttons Button 4,5 and scroll wheel down to keyboard input so the game recognises the emulated keyboard buttons.

The questions:

1) When I run the re-binded script will it overwrite the current binding for the buttons which are browser forward/back Button 4/5 or will it only rebind them as long as AHK is running.

2) Is there a way to script the .ahk so that it will only run when the game is running. I was thinking, task manager to run the script once the program starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

PrzemoF wrote: »

It has to be running to rebind keys though right. Just want to make sure in case I break the function on the mouse!

Advertisement