Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trainee accountancy/finance roles

Options
  • 22-06-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am just wondering why am i finding it difficult to secure a trainee role. I have a strong cv (I am judging from recruiters response), fantastic career progression, right education, motivation but the only thing I dont have is a direct experience in accounting. My experience is as a business manager in retail and have turned around the store I am working for. I do have experience in forecasting, budgets, p&l and still find it challenging to secure a trainee role. I am even up for pay cut. What am i doing wrong?

I ll appreciate any advice from experts,

aspaps1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭gigglemuch82

Is there any way that you can get into the finance role within your current company?

Your title doesn't have to be a 'trainee accountant' but it can be any role within the finance function that's related to accounting.

That's how I got my foot into the accounting role and from there I was was able to get an internal promotion to the accountant's role after a few months when the vacancy arose.

From an employer's point of view, they might prefer someone with a bit of finance exposure (as in doing simple accounting functions such as bank recs, reconciliation and etc) rather than an experienced business manager to fill up a trainee accountant role.

Once you have the foot in the door, it is much easier to move up from then on.

I know how frustrating it can be - it took me nearly 2 years to get into a finance related role from an operations side of the business - but you just have to be patient and keep knocking on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

Is there any way that you can get into the finance role within your current company?

Your title doesn't have to be a 'trainee accountant' but it can be any role within the finance function that's related to accounting.

That's how I got my foot into the accounting role and from there I was was able to get an internal promotion to the accountant's role after a few months when the vacancy arose.

From an employer's point of view, they might prefer someone with a bit of finance exposure (as in doing simple accounting functions such as bank recs, reconciliation and etc) rather than an experienced business manager to fill up a trainee accountant role.

Once you have the foot in the door, it is much easier to move up from then on.

I know how frustrating it can be - it took me nearly 2 years to get into a finance related role from an operations side of the business - but you just have to be patient and keep knocking on the door.

First of all thanks for reply. No we dont have finance positions within the company and I have direct experience in all the functions what a trainee accountant would normally do. I have direct exposure to financial markets as an investor and portfolio adviser, but its in my personal capacity. I am capable of answering any related questions they may have on investment and/or portfolio and i have highlighted that on cv as well.

It is quite frustrating but i am keeping faith and prepared to do whatever it takes...

also forgot to mention if something comes up within your reach please let me know via pm, i ll be greatful

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chickenlicken2

What you could do is look up who the auditor is for large retail groups and companies and apply to them. Prepare a strong cv and cover letter highlighting your experience.
    Word of warning be prepared for a sizeable pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

What you could do is look up who the auditor is for large retail groups and companies and apply to them. Prepare a strong cv and cover letter highlighting your experience.
    Word of warning be prepared for a sizeable pay cut.

Hi chickenlicjen2, it is certainly a good advice and i thank yo for that. Yes i am aware that I ll have to take pay cut

aspasp1

Advertisement