Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio equipment to record seminar for podcast

Options
  • 22-06-2015 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on the best portable recorder & microphone combination to use to record a seminar presentation for audio podcasting.

Currently, a Zoom H2 without external mic is used for this purpose. The sound has been pretty good and it's not intrusive - the speakers forget that it is there and get on with the presentation - but the device has, apparently, developed a 'buzz' and needs quite a bit of post-production to resolve. I'm no audio expert, but speech sound a little 'distant' on the H2 (it's just laid on the table in front of the presenter currently) and I think a dedicated mic would capture a better sound.

We could just get a Zoom H2n, which seems to have similar audio quality to the H2. It's good value but, ideally, I'd like something a little better.

Based upon my own research, I'd like to get an Audio Technica AT803b lavalier microphone and hook it up to a Zoom H5 (this would cost about 500 euro). I think as speakers can't be guaranteed to speak correctly into a microphone on a stand and will be pretty stationary this might be the best option.

Having the ability to record using the internal mics of the Zoom H5 is an important consideration for joint presentations, workshops, or in case the external mic ever develops problems.

Any opinions on the quality of either the Zoom H5 or the AT803b, or suggestions of superior alternatives (at a similar price point), would be very welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Sounds like your H2 is broken, as opposed to not being suitable.

Why not get a wired lapel mic for the speaker, and plug it into the H2 input?

Advertisement