Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing a 2mm gap between front teeth by bonding?

Options
  • 22-06-2015 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey guys, I have about a 1.75-2mm gap in my 2 front teeth. I've always been self conscious of it so i would like to get rid of it for as cheap as possible. I've been looking at bonding and this seems a great, cheap option. Just wondering if anyone can answer these questions i have about it.. Is my gap small enough for this? ROUGHLY, how much would i be looking at? How strong is the composite material and does it stain? How often does it need to be replaced? I will try post a pic of what the teeth look like so you can see for yourself which should make it easier. Also, is anyone on these boards able to make a mockup of what it could look like on photoshop? That way i'd atleast be able to see if it makes the teeth look too weird. Thanks guys, much appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bomberbanga

Here is a pic: http //imgur.com/7za5A20
    It won' let me post a link, so just add a colon (:) after http and remove the space.
    Apologies if this is not allowed, if not i'll happily remove.

Here is a pic: http //imgur.com/7za5A20
    It won' let me post a link, so just add a colon ( : ) after http and remove the space.
    Apologies if this is not allowed, if not i'll happily remove.

Another thing i have noticed a little bit.. In some before and after shots of bonding with tooth gaps similar to my size, sometimes the dentist has still left a slight gap in the teeth, why is this? Would this likely be the case with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Looks to me like the teeth are naturally narrow (ish), I think a diaestema closure with white filling (bonding) or ceramic (veneer) would work well depending on your bite. Sometimes a gap is left a little because making the teeth very wide can look worse than a little gap. It would cost between 200 and 2000 depending on material, dentist etc. Bonding is cheaper than ceramic. Yes bonding will pick up stain in time. A photoshop mockup is a bit pie in the sky, a dentist can mock it up in your mouth directly so you can see it before it is bonded. Of course braces are another option?

Looks to me like the teeth are naturally narrow (ish), I think a diaestema closure with white filling (bonding) or ceramic (veneer) would work well depending on your bite. Sometimes a gap is left a little because making the teeth very wide can look worse than a little gap. It would cost between 200 and 2000 depending on material, dentist etc. Bonding is cheaper than ceramic. Yes bonding will pick up stain in time. A photoshop mockup is a bit pie in the sky, a dentist can mock it up in your mouth directly so you can see it before it is bonded. Of course braces are another option?

Thanks for that, i really appreciate it. Braces may be a good option, however they are very expensive and i'd rather not spend so much. I'm not too concerned with having "perfect" teeth, i would just like to get rid of the gap for a decent price.

Is bonding somewhat of a rare service for dentists to offer? I've had a look around at a lot of dentists in my area and they all offer veneers but very few offer bonding, thought that was interesting.

• Advertisement

Bonding is very american, in Ireland usually its called what it is, a white filling or composite filling. Every dentist in the country can perform this procedure.

Oh that makes sense, fair enough. Another question, do you know how much of a quality variation of the finished product i'm likely to get between different dentists? I've done a few enquiries to some dentists in my area and the prices range from about $200 per tooth up to $500. What i'm basically trying to find out is if i'd be a fool to go to a cheaper dentist as it might be a dodgy job or something. Or are they all likely to end up very similar?

Like all bespoke jobs the quality will vary a great deal between different operators. Price is no guarantee of quality but is a good general guide. My signature says it all.

Advertisement