Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hostile environment in new job

Options
  • 21-06-2015 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've completed a couple of half day inductions at my new job and the team are so hostile I'm not sure it's for me. Almost half of the team I'll be leading (Team Lead role) applied for the job and didn't get it. I'm a candidate from outside the company.

My induction was 3 x half days and included me rotating around the team shadowing staff to see what they do etc. The b1tchiness was unbelievable and the hostility....well cold shoulder doesn't even begin to describe it. One team member also went to my manager on day 2 to 'express concern' over my fitness for the role!

I need a job like everyone else but I don't need one where every day is an uphill struggle with a team that pulls against me and freezes me out 24/7. My gut is telling me to get out now as no contract has been signed yet, but my wallet is kind of encouraging me to give it a go as long as I can stick it out. The team may mellow with time, though these are 'mature' people in their 40s+ so I would have assumed they could handle the rejection for promotion with some grace.

If anyone has been through something similar I'd appreciate some input. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,691 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Talk to the manager about what will be put in place to get workplace behaviour back in to line. If they're not 100% aware of the issue, and ready to coach and support you in solving it, then run like hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Feel for you OP, I know a couple of people who have faced similar difficulties in new jobs. They stuck it out, and although it wasn't too enjoyable for the first few weeks, it all became fine after a while.

The most important thing is don't doubt yourself!! You are prefectly suitable for the job, and more than capable - that's why you were hired above the existing staff who applied.

If you stick it it and show your knowledge and skills, they will respect you (begrudgingly at first). Then it will start to get better. Starting a new job is always difficult, and even more so when there's hostility.

When it happened to one of my friends, he actually used it in his next job interview. You know when the interviewer always asks "can you give an example of a challenge you had to overcome, blah blah". Well he spoke about how difficult it was when he first started in his previous job due to his team being difficult, holding back information to make him look bad, passive aggressive and hostile behaviour etc, and how he kind of whipped that team into shape in a very short amount of time. And he got the job!

So it's up to you to turn it from a negative experience into a positive one. I wouldn't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The manager seems quite worried that the team will down tools in protest so there's a lot of placating them at the moment, with measures suggested to give them more responsibility with the hope they'll feel it's recognition of their abilities. There doesn't seem to be a plan beyond this and my gut feeling is there will be lots of pandering to their every whim by senior management to prevent a mass exodus to a competitor company. One has 'threatened' they'll refuse to work with me on the team and the bosses are scrambling rather than handling it head on. It feels like there isn't a strong structure behind me so whilst I can handle them, there's the likelihood they'll beat a path to senior management's door over any little issue, and management will indulge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think this is common enough but not nice or even professional.

If all order aspects of this role suit you them if he saying give it a go.

Chances are when tey get to know you and see your a good leader then it will abate over time. Keep an eye, often these situations are being pushed by one in the background always stirring it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was in a similar situation where I was responsible for 14 drivers and hired from outside. They set up a rota among themselves to go sick with someone calling me at 6 am to say they were sick for about 2 months.
    I stuck it out and outlived the trouble makers.

Not an nice position to be in but you'll need to prove yourself to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

Was in a very similar position. Very hard at the time and looking back, if honest, it wasn't worth putting up with. My direct manager was very supportive though and undermined me on a regular basis.
    If you decide to give it a go, make sure you let the team know who is 'running the show' early on. Otherwise you will be facing an uphill battle. I speak from experience with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

My husband has been in this situation twice, most recently was the worst. The staff were completely out to get him. One day he used his phone for an emergency and it was literally 2 minutes and a staff member saw him and emailed HR and their team manager about it! The job was very pressurised and he spent the first few weeks getting up to speed and just knuckling down to get the job done but then was called up on not integrating well with the team when it was the team that was freezing him out. He was going to resign but his manager said it would get better but actually did nothing to improve the situation. It actually resulted in him being let go (during probation).

Advertisement