Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EWE Breeding Age before culling

Options
  • 21-06-2015 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

I have 10 5 yr old ewes at home and am wondering if they should be culled or would they be able to go to the ram next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

DJ98 wrote: »
    I have 10 5 yr old ewes at home and am wondering if they should be culled or would they be able to go to the ram next year?

If there healthy looking in good condition and no previous lambing problems then keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭DJ98

They are all good except for one that put out her lamb bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

They are all good except for one that put out her lamb bed!

She should go then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Tbh you need to handle them and check that their teeth are firm and healthy looking,some breeds last longer than others too,but 5yr old is not old by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭DJ98

Tbh you need to handle them and check that their teeth are firm and healthy looking,some breeds last longer than others too,but 5yr old is not old by any means.

WHat would u class as old?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

I would say anything over 6yr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

WHat would u class as old?

Tbh that depends on each different farmers attitude and flock quality:)...I try to keep a healthy flock and minimise losses of old ewes,so replace 20% each yr,have mainly Cheviot and Suffolk x ewes,Cheviots are hardy but would not keep many past 6 yr old as with any ewe of any breed quality of lambs off them past that age dips as ewe has less milk etc.Would not have great quality land though and that's a factor too,older ewes can do well on 'good land' as long as they get enough grass.....and then you will have some farmers that only call ewes old when all their teeth have fallen out or are like knitting needles;)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

and then you will have some farmers that only call ewes old when all their teeth have fallen out or are like knitting needles;)

Some farmers actively buy this type for breeding too. " an old one can have lamb as good a young one"
    Sold some culls a few years ago for €30 and met the buyer a few weeks later. he was planning on putting themto the ram but said 1 was having breathing troubles and was failing.... didn't know what to say to him - culls are culls. -

Maybe they're making a bit of money in it - probably not fair on the old ewes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I find most of my culls end up culling themselves, what I mean by this is they get mastitis or are baron or bad mothering or die. If their still popping out lambs, I leave them alone. As soon as the give problems, get rid. I know guys can get lucky with culls. I'm guessing they are cheap hill ones they buy and bring to the lowland for an earlier life. That's fine. However I wouldn't buy a lowland cull. Chances are the seller has squeezed the best out and the ewe has an issue worthy of being on the cull list.

Advertisement