Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused re crop sensors

Options
  • 21-06-2015 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I think I understand the terminology re crop sensors as in 18mm on a crop sensor is equivelent to 27mm?? on an SLR camera etc etc.
    I have a 24mm F2.8 olympus manual lens which I sometimes use with my Canon 350d with an adaptor.
    My query is this, Why would an image taken on the manual lens have a wider field than shooting at 24mm on the stock Canon lens if it's still using the same sensor?
    It doesn't really matter but I am just curious.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

cortinaG wrote: »
    Why would an image taken on the manual lens have a wider field than shooting at 24mm on the stock Canon lens if it's still using the same sensor?

In short, if I understand your question, it won't. It will be the same. If it's different then you're doing something weird :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭cortinaG

In short, if I understand your question, it won't. It will be the same. If it's different then you're doing something weird :)

That's what I thought,
    I took 2 pics, interior shots, about 10 ft back, both starting at the same point on the left of the viewfinder,
    the image taken with the manual lens showed approx the width of a laptop extra on the right of the image.

Now that I can finally upload images,
    1st image with 18-55 canon lens @ 24mm;

nvxlkz.jpg[/IMG]

2nd image with fixed 24mm manual lens;

//saxo4x.jpg[/IMG]

A difference as small as that is probably down to focus breathing, more likely in the zoom rather than the prime though it could be either. Or the markings on the zoom aren't spot on. Too many variables at play. The focal length of a lens is specified as focused to infinity. The angle of view of a lens can change as you focus closer.

Thanks for that, I was just wondering.
    The reason I took them was that I was anticipating getting one of those wide angle adaptors for the camera,
    This is how it turned out, not bad for around €20

[IMG][/img]dynbs1.jpg

• Advertisement

cortinaG wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I was just wondering.
    The reason I took them was that I was anticipating getting one of those wide angle adaptors for the camera,
    This is how it turned out, not bad for around €20

It's about what I'd expect for €20 all right :-D

Haha, I was warned but had also read the macro filter was easily worth the 20 quid,

[IMG][/img]o6h6gw.jpg

I think it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It's all down to your perception of quality. If those are fine for your needs that all is good.

Please try to post images a bit smaller in the future. The size should be 800 pixels, these are about four times that size.

CabanSail wrote: »
    It's all down to your perception of quality. If those are fine for your needs that all is good.

Please try to post images a bit smaller in the future. The size should be 800 pixels, these are about four times that size.

They were quick snaps, hand held at 1/25 sec, no flash.
    I resized them on tinypic and copied the url for forums.
    I guess I'm not professional enough for the mighty photographic section of boards yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Your counter is making me crazy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement