Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call Signs ?

Options
  • 21-06-2015 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Anyone know what the next Ham Call signs would be ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

According to the IRTS Callbook the call that has been assigned most recently seems to be EI5HTB. The sequence will then be continued with the letters following T. So EI5HUB - EI5HVB - EI5HWB up to EI5HZB, after which the number will be increased. The next batch after EI5HZB would start with EI6HAB - EI6HBB - EI6HCB and so on up to EI9HZB, after which the first letter of the suffix changes to I and the counting starts again.
    Congrats for passing the exam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Quaderno wrote: »
    According to the IRTS Callbook the call that has been assigned most recently seems to be EI5HTB. The sequence will then be continued with the letters following T. So EI5HUB - EI5HVB - EI5HWB up to EI5HZB, after which the number will be increased. The next batch after EI5HZB would start with EI6HAB - EI6HBB - EI6HCB and so on up to EI9HZB, after which the first letter of the suffix changes to I and the counting starts again.
    Congrats for passing the exam!

Ahhh that explains a lot. So the numbers don't mean anything, they are just part of the sequential letter combination? I always thought they meant something like the area of first issue or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭thelordgod

The numbers don't mean anything here - in some countries the number will denote a region

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Zero maybe is for specific purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

thelordgod wrote: »
    The numbers don't mean anything here - in some countries the number will denote a region
    or a grade of licence.

in the UK M6xxx is foundation, 2E0xxx is intermediate, M0xxx id higher tier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭gerry sat

Well I received my Call Sign today :), 5 days since I sent the cheque and paperwork, very fast, but a happy camper now. EI-6-HGB

73's

Gerry

Good stuff. Just in time for the VHF/UHF contest this weekend. Hopefully the bands will come to life at 3pm Saturday.

73 de EI5HRB

Only have a HF rig, Yaesu FT950, but I've ordered the Yaesu FT991, due end of this month.

Contests aren't so much fun anyway, no-one wants to experiment or chat :)

There was plenty of time to chat today - not many stations seemed to be on air so there was a bit more than the usual report exchange. As you would know yourself vhf/uhf is fairly quiet in Ireland but it would still be a gentler start imho rather than diving straight onto hf and getting frustrated by the pileups and the contests here usually encourage a few to wipe the dust off their rigs.

• Advertisement

Personal I would prefer HF transmissions, as speaking to someone in a different country with your home made antenna, has great satisfaction.

Thats the joys of radio. However its much easier to work a foreign station on hf with just a piece of wire than to work the length of Ireland on vhf/uhf! Anyway enjoy the hobby - every day will be different. Its just a pity that local radio is dead whereas until 2003 I think you needed the morse test to go on HF so there was a lot more activity of vhf even if it was only while one studied for the morse test. Nowadays no-one even hears the new licensees unless they call into the news as they are all on hf. I try to do a bit of both.

You need a high site, SSB or PSK31, Yagi aerial etc for DX VHF. The problem is that many VHF sets are really only designed for Repeater / local mobile use and not for real radio Experimenting.

VHF with FM only and only a whip, is much like CB with repeaters added.

Proper VHF/UHF/SHF Amateur Radio needs very large aerials, rotators and more expensive equipment. That's why I bought an FT817ND in 2006, as it has all modes on VHF/UHF. The VHF/UHF only mobile rigs and Handhelds are so limited, only doing FM TX, even if some now have multimode receive.

It's still like new, many of the handhelds are not very durable.

Every band has its own challenges and using 5 watts even more so. I've worked across the Atlantic QRP. I enjoy building antennas myself preferably from scrounged/recycled materials. Actually do you know of anywhere in the country that does fibreglass rods suitable for hexbeam spreaders? I cant find anything on the interweb and postage from abroad is expensive for decent sized lengths.

Perch poles in a fishing tackle shop.

Advertisement