Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Corrections

Options
  • 21-06-2015 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

So while pondering how poorly I did in the exams, I began to think about the corrections. When do they start correcting the papers, and if anyone here has experience, how long does it take to correct a paper (depending on the subject)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

Quarks wrote: »
    So while pondering how poorly I did in the exams, I began to think about the corrections. When do they start correcting the papers, and if anyone here has experience, how long does it take to correct a paper (depending on the subject)?

Biology is 8 minutes to correct a paper and another 2 to add up the marks.
    As for any other subjects i amn't sure as none of my other teachers ever mentioned the times for correcting papers.
    I would imagine corrections would begin ASAP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your teacher wildly underestimates the time it takes to correct a Leaving cert. paper. Eight minutes for Biology? Seven papers an hour? Are they insane?

The corrections have started in some subjects and there are conferences all the coming week.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Most of the biology questions are very short though, and the answers are hit or miss. Surely it wouldn't take longer than about 8 minutes for an experienced examiner? Correcting essay subjects must be hell

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You have to factor in the changing marking scheme and reviews. I'm not a biology corrector but a friend is and she was crucified with the reviews last year.

I would not do a JC OL paper justice in seven minutes, let alone LC HL Biology which for so many people is really important in terms of courses and needs to be properly corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

spurious wrote: »
    Your teacher wildly underestimates the time it takes to correct a Leaving cert. paper. Eight minutes for Biology? Seven papers an hour? Are they insane?

The corrections have started in some subjects and there are conferences all the coming week.

That's what my biology teacher said, and taking into consideration the years of experience he as correcting them himself, and who he is, I take his word on that gladly, you may brush it aside of you are so inclined.
    spurious wrote: »
    You have to factor in the changing marking scheme and reviews. I'm not a biology corrector but a friend is and she was crucified with the reviews last year.

I would not do a JC OL paper justice in seven minutes, let alone LC HL Biology which for so many people is really important in terms of courses and needs to be properly corrected.

I think it is unfair to insinuate that the level of care put into correcting scripts varies from subject to subject based on how "important [they are] in terms of courses". It is a student's year of work boiled into a 10 or so A4 pages, to belittle it on any grounds is wrong.

• Advertisement

I hope the SEC (who monitor exam threads here) look for and find someone who spends only eight minutes working on a Leaving Cert. paper.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Spurious is an experienced corrector also, Tables, albeit not of biology, so no need to get snarky.

Speaking for myself, I can fully understand that biology would take less time than, say, English (which I have corrected myself in the past) but I would still say that if any corrector can get through any LC HL paper with due care in 8 minutes, they must be quasi-cybernetic.

And spurious isn't belittling anyone's work, at any level, she is simply saying that

(a) some papers will take longer to correct than others by their nature ... e.g. a LC HL paper compared to a JC OL paper

(b) stressing that LC papers / results have a big impact on students' lives in terms of points / CAO / etc., and deserve due care and diligence accordingly.

If you're taking from that any belittling of students or their work, you're getting the wrong end of the stick.

More generally, I'm not sure how the length of time it takes to correct a paper in any subject makes any difference anyway, or why we're debating it.

All I will say from personal experience is that by the time you're finished, you're seeing double; in fact, you're seeing scripts in your sleep, and you're being chased and harassed by them in your bloody dreams!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

More generally, I'm not sure how the length of time it takes to correct a paper in any subject makes any difference anyway, or why we're debating it.

I just got curious is all :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

most subjects are about 400-450 papers in 1 month.. so you could do the math that way....

so that'd be roughly more than 13 papers a day ...every day.

I averaged about 15-20 per day to get a day off... 30 mins per paper (I'm a slow corrector though)...

then you get a phone call to go back and recheck certain questions for all the ones you've corrected!!
    Then you don't get paid for months after.... then half the pay is gone in tax.
    Won't someone please think of the poor teachers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Won't someone please think of the poor teachers.
    I'm just afraid of the response to that one!! :pac:

Locked! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement