Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

125 Suzuki gn125 2295 e

Options
  • 20-06-2015 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of getting moped/ bike 125 cc max.
    Had 550 cc years back. Too much power! Missus wants
    To share it too, was looking at above bike today. Nice and firm
    Easy to manage ... Thought price tag was ok.

Kinda of fixed on this type of bike rather than scooter.

Just wondering would this be a good beginner bike ?

Had only a bike for a summer years ago so starting again with the bike lessons with herself next week to get the A2 licence.

Would prefer to get a second hand 125 cc first to see if it goes ok ... First rather than buying new. Would anyone have experiences at bike shops in or around Dublin/Leinster that they would recommend?

Appreciate any advice/guidance please

Paddy
    Ps ! Just see this one at an outlet in Dublin seems good value it's a 125cc anyone know anything about this one?
    new LEXMOTO STREET 125 at only €1850 including top box and screen!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 FLAVIN50CAL

You could try second hand bikes on adverts, donedeal etc , good bikes to be had for reasonable prices If you know how to check them out properly or can bring a mechanic with you , IMO a 125 will be underpowered for motorway and especially if you and wife are going to go on it for a spin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

You could try second hand bikes on adverts, donedeal etc , good bikes to be had for reasonable prices If you know how to check them out properly or can bring a mechanic with you , IMO a 125 will be underpowered for motorway and especially if you and wife are going to go on it for a spin

Thanks a lot. I agree with you. I am weary of a bigger bike really ... It wound just be for 20/30 mile spins from time to time eg when she needs car I would use it for work ... Fair weather bikers only ! I was really more into the scooter no clutch gears ... Handy for spinning about she wants the "bike" look ... Lol .. Ta

And I think 1850 seems a bit steep for a gn125 , what year is it?

And I think 1850 seems a bit steep for a gn125 , what year is it?

That lexmoto is 1850 on bike world ......the price for 250 gn is new in shop out the road here (Meath) 2295

I'd recommend buying used , maybe privately (you'll get a better deal) but do make sure to check it out first , test ride and all that , haven't heard much about lexmoto but I know they're Chinese... , can't beat Honda for reliability IMO

just my 2c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Modern 5/600 cc bikes are very usable. Nothing like what you would have had years ago. It'd be madness to buy a 125 really.

You don't need to use all the power all the time anyway. Something your younger self mightn't have understood!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,103 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Four-stroke 125s are a waste of time unless you're a skinny teenager. Couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Had a spin around the block on my brother-in-law's GS125 once and it was absolutely gutless. I once had a loan of a GN250 for a while and it was better, but still really slow.

A bike with enough power to be able to keep up with traffic in all situations (motorway / two-up / headwinds / hills) is SAFER and much less stressful to ride.

The throttle works both ways, it only goes as fast as you tell it to go. 500cc twin is the minimum for today's roads tbh.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

any views on say a 250 cc moped?
    are mopeds automatic therefore handier to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 34,103 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A few years back we rented a 400cc scooter in Crete for a week two-up, it was fun to ride within its limits but, as a rider of geared motorcycles, the lack of engine braking and the small wheels weren't confidence inducing.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

A few years back we rented a 400cc scooter in Crete for a week two-up, it was fun to ride within its limits but, as a rider of geared motorcycles, the lack of engine braking and the small wheels weren't confidence inducing.

Thank you. It's really only for local spinning around in good weather! I do like the "shape" of the Suzuki gn125.
    I appreciate the downside re power etc but I think for my purposes it is easy to handle and looks well and seems reasonably well reviewed... I don't know if other models are similar in the 125 category and have better handling etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

There are some positives to the GN.

Great on fuel
    Comfortable
    Good market for them if you decide to sell it on .
    Insurance will be cheap.
    Very reliable engine. Hard to kill them.

They are a fun little bike. You really have to drive them hard though, but the engine is tough as nails.

I had one when I was younger and enjoyed it. Ok it was not a quick bike by any means but for nipping around the place on a nice day it is perfect .

Many thanks that's great to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Had a GZ 125 for my first bike. Similar to the GN125 and has the same engine too. Very reliable and really good on juice. If your just going on the odd spin to work here and there a 125 should be fine. Definitely wouldnt recommend going anywhere near a motorway on one!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭DJDylan106

I ride a GZ125 marauder, exact same as the GN, just a different chassis. The GZ is great to ride, nice and comfortable, runs on the smell of petrol, cheap to maintain in terms of consumables and services etc. Overall a great little bike, not built for speed or power but sure look, for the size of the bike it is, it's great in my opinion. The GN's are much the same, friend of mine has a GS125 and its bulletproof, still going strong after many years of driving. Myself, I wouldn't buy a bike new, from the moment you buy it the value has depreciated. You'd pick up a nice little GN or GZ on donedeal for around €1000-1500 with low enough mileage on it. That's just my opinion, some people like the fresh smell of a new bike, I prefer the smell of the bit of money I save by buying second hand ;)

DJDylan106 wrote: »
    I ride a GZ125 marauder, exact same as the GN, just a different chassis. The GZ is great to ride, nice and comfortable, runs on the smell of petrol, cheap to maintain in terms of consumables and services etc. Overall a great little bike, not built for speed or power but sure look, for the size of the bike it is, it's great in my opinion. The GN's are much the same, friend of mine has a GS125 and its bulletproof, still going strong after many years of driving. Myself, I wouldn't buy a bike new, from the moment you buy it the value has depreciated. You'd pick up a nice little GN or GZ on donedeal for around €1000-1500 with low enough mileage on it. That's just my opinion, some people like the fresh smell of a new bike, I prefer the smell of the bit of money I save by buying second hand ;)

I agree completely having said that I know nothing about bikes ... The upside of buying new and local is guarantee and
    Knowing it hasn't been involved in accident or has mech problems that may be undetectable .... It's hard to know .... Prob .... Go new .... Thks for yr reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rickyoneill

SMALL BIKES ROCK.!!! (Suzuki GN 125)

Hi...I recently purchased a clean Suzuki GN 125 (had one 20 years back)...online I saw a Suzuki 125 GN Owners Club in UK, it looks like fun...Is anyone in Ireland interested in small bike Sunday spins, and longer spins...Don't slag the small bikes...I know this bike has limits, but there is definitely some fun to be had. I did a few round the coast of Ireland trips and many sunday trips on my last GN....0861732642 call me if you are interested...Many thanks for reading this...

R

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A 125 will be slow. Glacially slow. You'll struggle to keep up with traffic on quicker roads, and will find yourself being overtaken quite a bit.

500cc or bigger will be much more solid, and will have enough power for everyday spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rickyoneill

Thanks for the comments 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Start a new thread. I fupping hate having my time wasted reading zombie threads.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement