Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for living in Galway working in Dublin

Options
  • 20-06-2015 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Guys, I am not sure if this is the correct forum. I am looking for opinions/experience from people who live long distances from their work. To provide context I have a permanent job in Dublin whereas my girlfriend has a permanent job in Galway. My core hours are 9-5.30 but There is flexibility to leave as early as 4 if I work late another day. I normally wouldnt leave work until 6 or half 6 anyway and only take 30mins lunch as I am quite busy. I dont want to only do the minimum as it may affect chances for promotion.

My girlfriend may not be in a position to move to Dublin any time soon so I was considering options for living in Galway while working in Dublin for a couple of years. I know commuting every day is unrealistic and I would be miserable but I am thinking about perhaps staying up 2-3 nights a week and commuting the others.

The main option I was considering was staying two nights and driving up and down the monday and friday but leaving work at 4-4.30 (Leave in morn at 5:45 for work around 9 and home by 7:30-8). I would then get the bus on the Tuesday (5:45) and work long hours tuesday (9-8) and wednesday(8-7) and a normal day (maybe 8.30-5.30) on thursday and getting the bus back down.

Has anyone any experience of something similar? Is it tough? Is there much supply of this type of accommodation i.e. for 2-3 days per week that is affordable? Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions you can provide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The main option I was considering was staying two nights and driving up and down the monday and friday but leaving work at 4-4.30 (Leave in morn at 5:45 for work around 9 and home by 7:30-8). I would then get the bus on the Tuesday (5:45) and work long hours tuesday (9-8) and wednesday(8-7) and a normal day (maybe 8.30-5.30) on thursday and getting the bus back down.

I think staying in Dublin 2 nights will be a massive help but after a few months I think you may get fed up of traveling. Staying in Dublin will be costly as a few nights option is unlikely available.

Can you both not move to Athlone, roughly half way and lots of people commute to Galway/Dublin daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stupid_is_as _stupid_does

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I think staying in Dublin 2 nights will be a massive help but after a few months I think you may get fed up of traveling. Staying in Dublin will be costly as a few nights option is unlikely available.

Can you both not move to Athlone, roughly half way and lots of people commute to Galway/Dublin daily.

Thanks for your reply, I am worried regarding a lack of potential accommodation of this sort as you have mentioned. If I could not find something reasonably affordable I dont think my plan would be possible. I am hoping someone who has experience of this would be able to provide some more information.

Thanks also regarding the Athlone suggestion I will keep this option in mind while considering the feasibility of the what I outlined in the OP.

The original plan was for her to move to Dublin in early 2016 but due to unexpected circumstances that may not be possible for another couple of years. I am looking into other options for a year and a half to two years so maybe if I know it is not forever I would not get as fed up as otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Athlone has the benefit of commuter rail services to both Galway and Dublin.

Details here:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/06_dublin-galway_25052015.pdf

If your employers participate in the tax saver scheme you can save PAYE, PRSI and USC on the cost of monthly/annual tickets. Full info at www.taxsaver.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

This sounds like something that would become incredibly tiring after a few months of it. There are usually some accommodation options for Sunday to Friday available but they're rare in the summer (its usually people renting out their kids rooms when they're away at college but then you clear out at the weekends). Getting somewhere for only a few random days per week would be even less likely, you will probably end up having to pay for somewhere longer than the few days per week. The amount of money you're going to spend on travel will be very very high since you're mixing travel methods (IE: you're not getting the bus every day so you can get a monthly ticket etc). In the long run the easiest method for you financially and mentally (so you're not exhausted) is being in Dublin Monday to Friday.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Athlone has the benefit of commuter rail services to both Galway and Dublin.
    [/url]

Thanks for the links. I am definitely going to consider this as an option. The taxsaver site seems to be down but I will check out the potential savings when it back up.
    This sounds like something that would become incredibly tiring after a few months of it. There are usually some accommodation options for Sunday to Friday available but they're rare in the summer (its usually people renting out their kids rooms when they're away at college but then you clear out at the weekends). Getting somewhere for only a few random days per week would be even less likely, you will probably end up having to pay for somewhere longer than the few days per week. The amount of money you're going to spend on travel will be very very high since you're mixing travel methods (IE: you're not getting the bus every day so you can get a monthly ticket etc). In the long run the easiest method for you financially and mentally (so you're not exhausted) is being in Dublin Monday to Friday.

Thanks noisenotmusic, you are confirming everything I was fearing. I was hoping someone would come on here and say "I have a similar arrangement going and it's not that bad at all". Anyway I have a lot of thinking to do but it seems it may be back to the drawing board as some rough calculations show you are correct regarding the potential financial impact of such a plan, especially if a B&B might be the only option .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

OP, your original plan seems crazy.

Just live separately and visit every weekend (take turns on who travels,) until you can sort something which is a longer term solution.

My sister and now husband did this for about 2 years until he finally found a job in Galway.

Athlone may be an option, but traveling from there to Dublin or Galway is a bit much

OP, your original plan seems crazy.

Just live separately and visit every weekend (take turns on who travels,) until you can sort something which is a longer term solution.

My sister and now husband did this for about 2 years until he finally found a job in Galway.

Athlone may be an option, but traveling from there to Dublin or Galway is a bit much

Ha Ha thanks keeponhurling, I just read back over it and it does sound crazy. I would probably be miserable. Anyway thanks to the posters who took the time to reply. I appreciate it. Now off to lobby the local politician for a TGV speed non-stop link between Dublin and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭InvisibleWoman

We did long distance for 6 years between here and Manchester. I flew to Manchester one weekend, he flew to Dublin one weekend and the third weekend we spent separately to give us both a break from travelling. It's possible, we are now married and living together three years.

I think you'll get a M-F option, but not a two days in, one day out, two days in, two days out option!

We did long distance for 6 years between here and Manchester. I flew to Manchester one weekend, he flew to Dublin one weekend and the third weekend we spent separately to give us both a break from travelling. It's possible, we are now married and living together three years.

I think you'll get a M-F option, but not a two days in, one day out, two days in, two days out option!

Thanks InvisibleWoman. I suppose Ill just have to suck it up for the moment until things change. At least with the motorway its only a shortish round trip between Dublin and Galway when I only do it every second week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Live in Athlone. Cheaper than either Dublin or Galway and plenty of commuting options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Santo2016

Hi Guys, I am not sure if this is the correct forum. I am looking for opinions/experience from people who live long distances from their work. To provide context I have a permanent job in Dublin whereas my girlfriend has a permanent job in Galway. My core hours are 9-5.30 but There is flexibility to leave as early as 4 if I work late another day. I normally wouldnt leave work until 6 or half 6 anyway and only take 30mins lunch as I am quite busy. I dont want to only do the minimum as it may affect chances for promotion.

My girlfriend may not be in a position to move to Dublin any time soon so I was considering options for living in Galway while working in Dublin for a couple of years. I know commuting every day is unrealistic and I would be miserable but I am thinking about perhaps staying up 2-3 nights a week and commuting the others.

Has anyone any experience of something similar? Is it tough? Is there much supply of this type of accommodation i.e. for 2-3 days per week that is affordable? Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions you can provide.

Did you ever do this in the end? Looking at doing a 4 day week from Galway, 2 nights, work from home on a Wednesday

Advertisement