Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffiths Valuation Confusion

Options
  • 20-06-2015 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Guys,
    Really hoping someone can help me figure out the Griffiths Valuation townland maps. On the map there are sections divided out and numbered. And on the original form there are names and numbers for landlords and tenants. So far so good......
    but when I try to connect the two, they don’t match up. I’ve tried it with both the “Map Reference” number and the “Position on Page” number. I can see adjoining townlands which seem to follow the numbers and letters system which is on the forms.
    Could it be just my luck that my particular townland is not playing nice and following the rules ;-) Or am I missing something really simple?
    There also are plots that are numbered but whose numbers don’t appear on the form.
    So grateful for any advice, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Which website and maps are you using ?

The maps on AskAboutIrekand date from later than the Valuation, sometime as much as 30 years, so the plot numbers can be out of synch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Missymiss22

Ah ok, yup I'm using AskaboutIreland website. Is there a better one I could try? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The maps on FindMyPast.ie (pay website) are from the actual valuation. These are black & white and in separate sheets rather than a full browse format on AskAboutIreland and can be difficult to search.

The same maps were also available to view on computers in the National Library via the now closed Origins website - so not sure if they've updated these to use FMP instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

shanew wrote: »
    The maps on FindMyPast.ie (pay website) are from the actual valuation.

I did not know that. I'll have to keep that in mind for next time they have a special deal on.

Advertisement