Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best HDD/SSHD

Options
  • 20-06-2015 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hello all. My main 1TB HDD from Dell laptop (Samsung hdd :D) have just died. I put my external back up HDD in there for now but need to upgrade to a better and larger 2.5" driver. Do any of you know a good place I can shop for such a thing, Europe and UK is considered as well. I would prefer 7200 rpm because I do a lot of file transfer (please correct me if i'm wrong, but 7200 will transfer and analyze files quicker than 5400?). And does any of you know is it worth to buy SSHD? If so, is there 7200 SSHD or will 5400 SSHD be grand?
    Thank you for all of your replies.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

XDenasdc wrote: »
    Hello all. My main 1TB HDD from Dell laptop (Samsung hdd :D) have just died. I put my external back up HDD in there for now but need to upgrade to a better and larger 2.5" driver. Do any of you know a good place I can shop for such a thing, Europe and UK is considered as well. I would prefer 7200 rpm because I do a lot of file transfer (please correct me if i'm wrong, but 7200 will transfer and analyze files quicker than 5400?). And does any of you know is it worth to buy SSHD? If so, is there 7200 SSHD or will 5400 SSHD be grand?
    Thank you for all of your replies.

SSD aren't measured in rpm because there is no platter. You can get hybrid drives where one part is a conventional drive but the SSD part is usually quite small in these. Full SSD drives get very expensive once you get into higher storage capacities. You could look for a 10,000 rpm HD but I'm not sure how common / expensive they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 XDenasdc

Yeah, I understand the idea of how SSD works and the difference between it and HDD. My questions were : does anyone know a good shop online from europe/uk/ireland (ireland shipping preferably) that I could buy reliable and good quality HDD. And is it worth buying 7200rpm HDD over 5400 SSHD?

Yeah, I understand the idea of how SSD works and the difference between it and HDD. My questions were : does anyone know a good shop online from europe/uk/ireland (ireland shipping preferably) that I could buy reliable and good quality HDD. And is it worth buying 7200rpm HDD over 5400 SSHD?

Why have you mentioned a 5400 SSHD above then?
    Anyway, try memory.com Irish site with free delivery. Never had a problem with them.

EDIT: I guess you mean a 5400rpm hybrid? Unless you're putting the OS on the SS section then probably better off getting a 7200rpm HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 XDenasdc

Sorry for my rudeness, I guess i did not make my question clear. once again it is : 7200 HDD vs 5400 SSHD. And memory(dot)com and memory(dot)ie is not selling any hdd at the moment. memory(dot)com is closed :( (After 15 years of excellent service, Alpha Memory, Inc. is closing its doors. If you have any enquiries please email us at blag blah blah). Any other good shops?

Sorry for my rudeness, I guess i did not make my question clear. once again it is : 7200 HDD vs 5400 SSHD. And memory(dot)com and memory(dot)ie is not selling any hdd at the moment. memory(dot)com is closed :( (After 15 years of excellent service, Alpha Memory, Inc. is closing its doors. If you have any enquiries please email us at blag blah blah). Any other good shops?

Sorry, that's a typo. Address should be www.memoryc.com
    Looks like free deliery is now only with a spend of 25 euro or over. That'll be no issue if you purchase off them obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Welshprince

I just bought a new Seagate Barracuda from Misco.ie. I did my research before hand and they are the cheapest and after sales service is top notch.
    Delivery is from UK but is very quick via Parcelforce and only cost 1.99 (euro).
    The HDD is 1TB, silent and cost under 55 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I just bought a new Seagate Barracuda from Misco.ie. I did my research before hand and they are the cheapest and after sales service is top notch.
    Delivery is from UK but is very quick via Parcelforce and only cost 1.99 (euro).
    The HDD is 1TB, silent and cost under 55 euro.

No mechanical HDD is silent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Welshprince

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    No mechanical HDD is silent :rolleyes:

Then you don't know much about current HDD's!

Advertisement