Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infection 9 months after new crown??

Options
  • 19-06-2015 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

I had a crown replaced 9 months ago due to some mild but annoying ache in the tooth (lower molar). When the old one came off there was some decay there. Very close to the nerve at this stage so I had a temporary crown for a couple ofmonths to see if the tooth would die or become troublesome. All was ok so the new crown was fitted.

Had a few problems with gum irritation in the first few weeks (the join was under the gum-line) and for the last few months it's been perfect. But all of a sudden I am getting some ache again, not really bad enough to take pain killers but there is slight sensitivity on biting and the gum on one side is a little swollen. I'm wondering if it might just be the gum problems again rather than infection setting in.

So just wondering if it would be unusual to develop an infection so soon after a new crown or it is not really surprising considering the history?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

sudzs wrote: »
    I had a crown replaced 9 months ago due to some mild but annoying ache in the tooth (lower molar). When the old one came off there was some decay there. Very close to the nerve at this stage so I had a temporary crown for a couple ofmonths to see if the tooth would die or become troublesome. All was ok so the new crown was fitted.

Had a few problems with gum irritation in the first few weeks (the join was under the gum-line) and for the last few months it's been perfect. But all of a sudden I am getting some ache again, not really bad enough to take pain killers but there is slight sensitivity on biting and the gum on one side is a little swollen. I'm wondering if it might just be the gum problems again rather than infection setting in.

So just wondering if it would be unusual to develop an infection so soon after a new crown or it is not really surprising considering the history?

Is the gum sore and swollen around the crown (where the crown meets the gum)??
    Is there a "gum boil" lower down in the gum??
    Is the tooth sore to bite or tap on?
    Is the tooth sore with hot and cold?
    Is there any swelling in the gum/ face?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for the reply Oral Surgeon.
    Is the gum sore and swollen around the crown (where the crown meets the gum)??

A little on one side only.
    Is there a "gum boil" lower down in the gum??

Not that I can see - thankfully.
    Is the tooth sore to bite or tap on?

More sensitive than sore but after tapping there is a small amount of ache. But I'm taking paracetamol for something else today so maybe I have some degree of protection!

Is the tooth sore with hot and cold?

Not really, the gum more than the tooth. However the weird thing is that over the last couple of weeks I've noticed there is a slight crack sound when I rinse after/during brushing or drink cold water... it's a gold crown by the way.
    Is there any swelling in the gum/ face?

A little gum swelling, worse after brushing, eased by warm salt water rinsing.

It's more a sort of niggling pain in the tooth with slight gum swelling on one side so I was wondering if something might just be brewing down there! But I would hope not after just 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

As clear as muddy water. Not clear based on those answers...

Possibilities;

bad crown margin causing gum inflammation

high bite causing general pain in the tooth

tooth has died off and now becoming infected

crack in tooth

gum disease

You really need to see your dentist, hopefully it is something straight forward..

OS

sudzs wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Oral Surgeon.

A little on one side only.

Not that I can see - thankfully.

More sensitive than sore but after tapping there is a small amount of ache. But I'm taking paracetamol for something else today so maybe I have some degree of protection!

Not really, the gum more than the tooth. However the weird thing is that over the last couple of weeks I've noticed there is a slight crack sound when I rinse after/during brushing or drink cold water... it's a gold crown by the way.

A little gum swelling, worse after brushing, eased by warm salt water rinsing.

It's more a sort of niggling pain in the tooth with slight gum swelling on one side so I was wondering if something might just be brewing down there! But I would hope not after just 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for the very helpful reply Oral Surgeon, really appreciate you taking the time.

Bite is fine, if anything the crown is slightly lower than its predecessor. I think the tooth is still alive but your suggestion of a bad margin is causing the gum inflammation is probably correct. Must be something stuck in there. Coincidentally, I have a minor ear problem which I think may be causing the niggling pain in the area. But with that and the sore gum I thought the worst! :rolleyes:

So a bad margin is always going to cause problems, my dentist did tell me that I will eventually need root canal treatment on this tooth. Just hope I can get a better fit next time!

Many thanks again! :)

Advertisement