Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary scales and qualification recognition

Options
  • 19-06-2015 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,
    Just an enquiry regarding people who have experience prior to 2011 but started teaching here after.

I worked in 2002 in a department school for a number months, I then worked in other fields for a few years before training in uk and working there for a few years. I'm so lucky to have a job now I realise that, however the difference in pay between myself and similarly experienced colleagues is massive as none of my post graduate experience is recognised.

I have contacted payroll about this but they said as their system only dates back to 2006 my application cannot be considered, is this the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Im not 100% sure but I think you had to have been qualified and worked before 2011 to get the pre 2011 rate. It sounds like you worked in the dept but you werent qualified so it wouldnt count. If youve taught in the Uk after you had a recognised teaching qualification then you might be able to claim incremental credit for those years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It might count when you come to retiring. I know that's not much comfort now, but keep all the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Not to hijack the OPs topic but I have a follow on question:

I worked in research for a college while completing my PhD for nearly 6 years from 2007-2012. I was actually a full time staff member. During that time I spent 3 years as a part time lecturer, delivering lectures each semester (4-6 hours a week). If I ever applied for a lecturing post would I be considered pre 2011 on the salary scale? Anyone know if part time hours would count towards a jump on the points scale?

Cheers in advance and apologies to the OP if this isn't appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

Hi OP,

I qualified in 2013 but worked in 01/02 unqualified but paid by dept. Like you, i did other jobs in the meantime but qualified after 2011 so we differ in that respect.

Payroll & ASTI have told me that because I was unqualified when I was first on payroll it doesn't count and I am on post 2011 rates

HTH

Advertisement