Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult dependent on JSA

Options
  • 19-06-2015 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all! I am confuse at the moment. My husband is claiming JSA and me as an adult dependent. I recently got a job a week ago. And i am currently on orientation/training this week, i dunno really if i am paid already for this week(training). We havent told the social welfare about this yet, as my employer said they would need to check my performance during those days that I am on training, they dont want me to buy uniform too as they said I might not like the job and end up spending 50€ on a uniform. So where do we go from here? Should we tell the social welfare straight up about this? Or should I wait til i fully got the job? And yes i signed the contract as a new employee. But it still depends on my performance on training/orientation if i can be able to continue my job? They gave me 50 hours a week on night shift. And if i get this job i will be earning 1330 euros -1990 euros a month depending on the shift that i will be on. And can my husband still claim on his own right? And the adult dependent will just be gone since i am earning more than 310€ a week. Or will it be totally gone? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks a million!I

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Inform the dept that you are on a training trial,if you get the job full time your husband will have to get a new means test.
    earnings from work are taken into account thus take your gross less pension ect,but not paye.see here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/work_and_jobseekers_allowance.html subtract €60 from the total get 60% of what's left and that is the amount of means that you have take that figure from €310 to find the payment (if any) your OH will get

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pepper_chloe

ThAnks for that info. One more question please?
    If i informed the social welfare about my training, and end up not liking it after a week of training, will they take it against me? I am just an adult dependent, am i obliged to get a job no matter what, like husband?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

No they wont. An adult dependant doesnt have to be available and looking for work.

eastbono wrote: »
    No they wont. An adult dependant doesnt have to be available and looking for work.

Glad to know! Thanks!

One more question??? So even if i am earning 350 or 450 a week? My husband can still get something once it is means tested? Even as low as €20 for example. And his name is still on jsa? Or if my salary is too high than an average worker everything will it be cut off? Because i am worried about his college this sept. I am afraid that i wont be able to support him with just my salary if that happens, house, bills, food, transpo plus his college. If we cut his jsa now he cant be able to apply for btea. I dont mind if i dont get anything for myself. Its just his education is what i am worried about if we cut his jsa. So its either i leave this job now, and continue on with the jsa. Or survive with my salary for everything. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

MP22 gave you the link to means testing. Its gross earnings less prsi that is calculated. Whatever means from your employment that will be on your partners claim prior to him going on BTEA(assuming he qualifies) will remain on his claim when he commences BTEA. He will be able to apply for the part of the grant that covers the fees.

Thanks eastbono and mp22.
    Guess if i calculated it. We might not end up getting anything, and we need to close his jsa. maintenance grant wont cover him because u need to be living in the state for 3 years to get that.
    But anyway thanks for your help guys!

Advertisement