Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC alarm advice needed

Options
  • 18-06-2015 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello, I'm in the process of purchasing a new alarm system for my house which is getting rewired, 12 windows, 2 doors. I want one that can ring or text me in the event of an activation and I have a UPC landline. One company has said they will install a HKC alarm but that text over UPC can only be done by a server hosted by HKC at a cost of €40 p/annum or a GSM-SC Communicator for €140 extra to install and €120 p/annum subscription. I have read some other threads on here and some say that the annual charge is €60 p/annum to maintain - who is correct or has this price increased recently?

Also as I am very green on this whole alarm front can someone give me some advice as to what type of HKC alarm to install (assuming there is more than one!)

Thanking you

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

My advice is you are better off going with IP. In most cases the charges are unnecessary .
    See the thread here for more information on apps & charges from HKC
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057394782

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

The hkc system is great and if you opt to use only the voice dialler then you can use your upc line without any subscription charge at all.
    As for the gsm-sc that is grand and has a nice app but you should be able to get it done with a subscription charge of 60 not 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ryanjcdub

Thanks for the comments. Can I ask would I have to pay the yearly subscription to the installer or directly to HKC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Paid directly to HKC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭altor

ryanjcdub wrote: »
    Hello, I'm in the process of purchasing a new alarm system for my house which is getting rewired, 12 windows, 2 doors. I want one that can ring or text me in the event of an activation and I have a UPC landline. One company has said they will install a HKC alarm but that text over UPC can only be done by a server hosted by HKC at a cost of €40 p/annum or a GSM-SC Communicator for €140 extra to install and €120 p/annum subscription. I have read some other threads on here and some say that the annual charge is €60 p/annum to maintain - who is correct or has this price increased recently?

Also as I am very green on this whole alarm front can someone give me some advice as to what type of HKC alarm to install (assuming there is more than one!)

Thanking you

There are two version for a wired premises, my advise would be to go for the hybid system.
    This will give you 10 hard wired zones plus the ability to add 70 wire free devices to your system.

The wired version on this panel is the 10/120. This will restrict you to only having wired devices without using a receiver in future.

UPC can be used with a DTV to self monitor your alarm system using voice with no subscription charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 ryanjcdub

altor wrote: »
    There are two version for a wired premises, my advise would be to go for the hybid system.
    This will give you 10 hard wired zones plus the ability to add 70 wire free devices to your system.

The wired version on this panel is the 10/120. This will restrict you to only having wired devices without using a receiver in future.

UPC can be used with a DTV to self monitor your alarm system using voice with no subscription charge.

Thank you for that, just one question; does the price of the subscription vary if I was to go for the GSM SC or is it fixed? I'm a little confused as most threads on here are saying it should cost €60 but I was quoted €120 from the installer?

Thanks

ryanjcdub wrote: »
    Thank you for that, just one question; does the price of the subscription vary if I was to go for the GSM SC or is it fixed? I'm a little confused as most threads on here are saying it should cost €60 but I was quoted €120 from the installer?

Thanks

The installer is adding his fee on also by the looks of it.
    HKC have the prices here.
    If you have UPC you can add a DTV for voice calls.
    Another option is to add a GSM-Q and you still have remote access to the system by text plus be able to self monitor the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Next Gen Gamer

Just to pick up on this thread..
    does anybody know if the HKC app can be used on 2 separate phones for the same alarm system?

Just to pick up on this thread..
    does anybody know if the HKC app can be used on 2 separate phones for the same alarm system?

Yes it can.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most apps can be used on as many devices as you need. As HKC charge for their apps I'm not sure how that works out.

• Advertisement

It will work on another app once you have the ID of the site and the password to set it up on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Next Gen Gamer

Thanks guys ;-)

Thanks guys ;-)

No problem, any other questions let us know.

Advertisement