Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bora Loses Power at 3000RPM momentarily.

Options
  • 18-06-2015 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So this happens maybe once every two weeks. I'm driving along in my 1.4L Bora (75bhp) and always at 3000 RPM in 5th gear when I'm cruising along at 100kmh (62mph) there is a sudden loss of power and you're jolted forward in your seat. This happens for about 2 seconds then returns to normal, although the last time it happened it lasted about 4 seconds. What is causing this? How can it be fixed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Does it burn much oil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Had something similar in a 1.6 Passat. Very disconcerting when it happens.
    Was a known fault with dirt building up in a fuel manifold apparently according to VW who refues to put any permanent fix for it. Or some thing like that.
    They cleaned it out a couple of times for me, and had it done several times by a mechanic even between services. Would be fine for about 5000miles. Then gradually deteriorate until cleaned again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

That's the factory fit padre pio telling you to shlow down!

But seriously, when was it last serviced, have you had it scanned for error codes and have the coils and leads ever been replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I had something similar and it was a coil pack failure, for some reason if they fail it might only affect certain RPM bands.
    Coil packs are a wear item, so its no big deal if its one of them. Its maybe not so easy to diagnose it is certainly this in your case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RobertDowney15

I had something similar and it was a coil pack failure, for some reason if they fail it might only affect certain RPM bands.
    Coil packs are a wear item, so its no big deal if its one of them. Its maybe not so easy to diagnose it is certainly this in your case though.

Finally got around to looking at it and coil 2 is discoloured and covered in oil so it's misfiring. (Could this have anything to do with my car burning oil also?)

Where would be the best place to buy a single coil (cheap but not terrible quality) and could I take one from a scrap bora? Does it have to be a 1.4L bora I take it from if I do or could I take it from a diesel?

Thanks for the sound advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where would be the best place to buy a single coil (cheap but not terrible quality)
    In a brick and mortar shop?
    If so, where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Finally got around to looking at it and coil 2 is discoloured and covered in oil so it's misfiring. (Could this have anything to do with my car burning oil also?)

Where would be the best place to buy a single coil (cheap but not terrible quality) and could I take one from a scrap bora? Does it have to be a 1.4L bora I take it from if I do or could I take it from a diesel?

Thanks for the sound advice.

Not sure how the coil would be in that condition, unless it is the spark plug you are looking at? But I have not replaced them myself so I could be wrong.

Have a look on youtube for DIY guides,
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vw+coil+pack

Diesels don't use coil packs, and you are better off buying a new coil pack rather than a used one, I doubt anyone would sell you a used one anyway (unless you happen to have one lying around).

You could go to a local motor factors, or buy online somewhere like MicksGarage or similar.
    The coil pack is probably specific to that model of engine, but that engine was used in many cars in the VW range.

http://www.micksgarage.com/search.aspx?fffBrand=Tesla~~~Quinton%20Hazell~~~Nordic~~~Bosch&fffDepartment=Ignition%2BCoils&fffMake=volkswagen&fffBasemodel=volkswagen%20golf&fffModelDescription=golf%20v%202003%20to%202009&ffftd_car=1.4%2016v&fffBHP=75

Prices range from €28.55 up to €47.22 for Bosch.
    You could shop around though.

Advertisement