Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring a developer: advice needed

Options
  • 18-06-2015 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I may be asking in the wrong place, if so just let me know.

We are looking to hire a developer for the early stages of an App. any recomendtations on the best way/place to source one. are there any common pitfalls or things to look out for? For a non tech guy any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The Situations Vacant sticky at the top of the developer forum would be a good place to start: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055234599

Make sure you are better prepared than 'I have an idea for an app'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've updated the thread title as these seems more like a request for advice than an actual job advert.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

You need a clear definition of what you require of a potential Developer. Do you require a Desktop Application, with or without a Database back-end or a website with the same. Do you require an iOS or Android Application or both. Will a Mobile Application compliment a website or as a standalone Application.

A few things you need to define, before you can seek a Developer, because if you don't know what you want, they won't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

We're looking to hire a part time developer for both iOS & android. We have V1 of our app in both stores & want to move to the second version. The app was originally developed in phone gap, but we want to have native apps next time round. The developer we used for the first version was ok, in that he got the job done, but he doesn't seem qualified to take it to a native level.

The problem we have is that we don't know what skills we need to be looking for. We need someone able to produce both versions of the app & who has an understanding of GPS & also cloud storage. Could someone assist with speccing out our requirements list ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

OU812, to begin with I think you have two ways you can skin this particular cat.

The first is to find a resource that has the development skills in both native iOS and Android already, as well as BA knowledge and experience in mobile development. The second is to find a resource that has at least the BA knowledge and experience in mobile development and outsourcing (PM) experience. Ideally, they'd also have development skills in either native iOS or Android, but this is of secondary importance.

With the first option you'd have someone who could create a consistent spec for all platforms (not just iOS or Android, but potentially other future one's like Windows) and could develop the first two natively.

With the second option you'd have someone who could create a consistent spec for all platforms and who can source and manage outsourced teams to actually do the development concurrently (remember time to market is always a factor).

Other than that it's a question of crunching the numbers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement