Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thailand or Indonesia

Options
  • 18-06-2015 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

heading off with the gf at the end of the yr. I've done a lot of ready and still can't chose which one.

Anybody been to both?

Which would you chose?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I'd choose Indonesia. It's much more varied and a little more off the beaten track aside from Kuta and Ubud in Bali. In saying that it depends how long you are staying. I was there for around 3 months in total and went to Sumatra, Java, Bali, Nusa Lembongan, Lombok, Gilis and Flores.
    Indonesia is massive. I'm sure you know that but as with anything you don't fully appreciate the vastness of it until you travel around it.
    Highlights for me was Prambanan & Borobudur, Mount Bromo on Java, Mount Rinjani on Lombok, Kimodo Dragons and Mount Kelimutu for Flores

The advantages for Thailand is much easier to get around as it's the 1 landmass and much smaller (albeit it's not a small place by any means) and the tourist trail is better laid out. It's a little less hassle as well I would say.

You will not go wrong with either to be fair. PM me if you want any more info.

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'd be more inclined to do Thailand in the current climate. The threat of terrorism sadly has to be something we now factor in to our travels and while Thailand isn't free of risk I'd consider it relatively safer than Indonesia.

Thailand may be one land mass plus islands but it really is hugely diverse, cities and jungle and islands and mountains. On and off the tourist trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

I would also do Thailand. There is so much to see and do. It is also a very easy country to travel around. We spent Xmas in Bali two years ago and yes the food/restaurants were great but the beach was not clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 5599

Tilikum wrote: »
    heading off with the gf at the end of the yr. I've done a lot of ready and still can't chose which one.

Anybody been to both?

Which would you chose?

If you are not on a tight budget, I would suggest you to go to Singapore.
    1000x better than these countries.
    2 days in Sentosa 2 days in universal studios and 2 days of city life which has so much to offer! Night safaris, theatres, bird parks, Clark quay, flyer, Lamborghini rides, orchard road!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Depends how much time you have. If you're going for 3 weeks or under I'd say Thailand, if more than 3 weeks then Indo. Highly recommend the volcanic lakes of Keilmutu, Komodo dragons are over that way too as well. On Sumatra the orangutans are superb to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Tilikum wrote: »

Anybody been to both?

Which would you chose?

Have been to both,
    I went to Indonesia -
    I got a ferry from Malaysia to Sumatra, than got it back to Malaysia and flew to Jakarta.
    Traveled overland to Bali, and than on to lombok and Gillie Islands.
    found it hard work, but enjoyed it.

Thailand is excellent with great beaches, the North of Thailand I actually stayed for 2 months, great place.

My advice, pick Thailand and let the good times roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

athtrasna wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to do Thailand in the current climate. The threat of terrorism sadly has to be something we now factor in to our travels and while Thailand isn't free of risk I'd consider it relatively safer than Indonesia.

I wouldn't give terrorism pretty much any thought for either. The chances of getting caught up in anything like is very slim. Much more things to worry about.
    5599 wrote: »
    If you are not on a tight budget, I would suggest you to go to Singapore.
    1000x better than these countries.
    2 days in Sentosa 2 days in universal studios and 2 days of city life which has so much to offer! Night safaris, theatres, bird parks, Clark quay, flyer, Lamborghini rides, orchard road!

I have been to Singapore it's fine and I certainly enjoyed my time there but to say it's a 1000 time better than a country as big and diverse as Indonesia I would suggest is rather hyperbolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Been to both and I much preferred Indonesia. It is slow enough to get around so the other posters comments about how long you're going for is spot on.

Mt Bromo and Nusa lembongan would be my two reasons to go to Indonesia ahead of Thailand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

When you say terrorism are your referring to IS or more local factions, if indeed its IS is there any reason to be extra vigilante in Asia as opposed to Europe?

Its New York or Thailand for me in August/September, don't want to take any risks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

cooker3 wrote: »
    I have been to Singapore it's fine and I certainly enjoyed my time there but to say it's a 1000 time better than a country as big and diverse as Indonesia I would suggest is rather hyperbolic.
    Not only is it hyperbolic, I'd say it's flat out wrong.

Horses for courses I suppose though.

To the OP, I'd base my decision on how much effort you want to put in. There's endless things to see and do in both countries.

Thailand can be a nice introduction to that part of the world but Indonesia is immense and somewhere I plan on returning to at some stage to see certain places that I've missed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement