Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing Mercedes from UK

Options
  • 17-06-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Wondering if anyone can help,

I'm been looking to buy a mercedes c class from the uk.

I found one on a main mercedeses dealers website and emailed them to enquire about th car.

They replied today stating "Unfortunately due to Mercedes-Benz company policy, we are unable to knowingly sell a vehicle to a customer looking to export the vehicle outside of the United Kingdom"

I'd never heard of this before and am a bit gutted as I really like the car.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any ways around this?

I have relations in London and Liverpool, am wondering, could i use their address to register the car and say something along the lines of me living with them for the time being?

If the dealer sees the UK address, would that be enough for them?

Thanks for any help or advice, you might have!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They replied today stating "Unfortunately due to Mercedes-Benz company policy, we are unable to knowingly sell a vehicle to a customer looking to export the vehicle outside of the United Kingdom"

I think there's a signal there that you're missing - they won't 'knowingly sell a vehicle....'

My reading of it is that as long as you make out that it's going to a UK home, they will sell you the car. A nod is as good as a wink ....
    I have relations in London and Liverpool, am wondering, could i use their address to register the car and say something along the lines of me living with them for the time being?

If the dealer sees the UK address, would that be enough for them?

Sound like a good plan to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Would that practice be in contravention of free trade between EU countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Thanks, was aware of the "knowingly" part of the sentence alright.

Just don't wanna make the trip to get turned away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Turn up with a wad of cash and watch the salesmen trip over each other to get to you. I've never knowingly seen any salesman turn down a sale.

www.irishtimes.com/news/mercedes-says-no-irish-need-apply-to-import-cars-from-uk-1.566993

Found this article, no clue what the law is on the matter but it's their policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭goochy

have you tried car giant in london ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

goochy wrote: »
    have you tried car giant in london ?
    Have you shares in car giant?! :)

wish i had ! no just a great dealer .

I was hoping to stay with a genuine Mercedes dealer that had a warranty, Am I right in saying that car giant don't provide warranties as standard?

Genuine dealers give me peace of mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

i am weighing up some options myself at the moment and i think cars in the uk are more expensive than here with the current exchange rate and vrt and really no dealer comeback.

the option list would be better but is there value to be had in the uk? i cannot see it it at the moment.

aside from that i would assume that they cannot refuse to sell you a car????

• Advertisement

I was hoping to stay with a genuine Mercedes dealer that had a warranty, Am I right in saying that car giant don't provide warranties as standard?

Genuine dealers give me peace of mind

But if they are telling you that "offically" they can not sell you a car that you are exporting then what good is the warranty to you over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 collieno

Keep in mind if you import the car the UK warranty is not valid here, what year is the car you are looking to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

That's a pretty outrageous policy, can't believe it is legal.

It's nothing special at all, just a typical car supermarket.

collieno wrote: »
    Keep in mind if you import the car the UK warranty is not valid here, what year is the car you are looking to buy?
    Explicitly a Mercedes thing? BMW support imports.

It's a 2013 diesel, I thought that the warranty would carry over as it would be originally registered to an uk address

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭suchafunkymonke

The warranty doesn't transfer automatically

You would need to contact M-B Ireland and ask them to accept the transfer of warranty from M-B UK and they're under no obligation to do it.

You could keep the UK warranty, but you would need to take it to a UK garage for servicing and a UK dealership for repairs. But this would rely on M-B UK accepting the vehicle warranty based on its VIN and not on it's registration plate, as that would be changed.

To be honest, I don't see the effort making it worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 10,195 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Have you shares in car giant?! :)

The dealership is only a sideline; the site is worth well North of £1billion and about to be redeveloped for housing and commercial space.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Is it really worth the hassle and uncertainty. How much more would you pay here. Try Michael Moore.

Is it really worth the hassle and uncertainty. How much more would you pay here. Try Michael Moore.

Saving 5k ish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

That's a pretty outrageous policy, can't believe it is legal.

I guess it's a Mercedes thing where they basically don't want to undermine their Irish dealers. As for the legality I haven't a clue but if it's Mercedes policy you would think that was checked by their legal department.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Explicitly a Mercedes thing? BMW support imports.

BMW Ireland and BMW UK are the same Distributor so that's why the warranty is transferable. Not sure Merc UK and Merc Ireland are though.

could you buy a warranty from merc. here ?

are you sure you are comparing like for like ? €5k seems alot to save on a c class ? Paul Tobin imports alot but rarely has c class , i am sure if the savings where that great he would have - though i do see my local mb dealer importing c class.

if you are saving €5k do you really need a warranty - just put some cash aside.

For this one car, I'd save that much, it seems to be priced cheaper than all the other 2013 c class, I don't think I'd save this much on every c class, but defo in this instance

• Registered Users Posts: 16 collieno

It's a 2013 diesel, I thought that the warranty would carry over as it would be originally registered to an uk address

In Ireland the warranty is 2 years as opposed to 3 in the UK so that car even if did carry over would be out of warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

The warranty would be valid in Northern Ireland on the VIN number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

bazz26 wrote: »
    BMW Ireland and BMW UK are the same Distributor so that's why the warranty is transferable. Not sure Merc UK and Merc Ireland are though.

merc uk and merc ireland totally separate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ei9go

They can't not knowingly sell you a car because if buying for export they would have to give you the full V5C which they wouldn't if you were buying as a UK resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

ei9go wrote: »
    They can't not knowingly sell you a car because if buying for export they would have to give you the full V5C which they wouldn't if you were buying as a UK resident.
    The situation in Ireland is very same. Imagine a customer from foreign country coming over here to buy a car and drive home. What the seller is going to do? At least 90% of people will refuse the sale, because they will not want to hand over the VR Document and will try to send it to Shannon istead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Mashie

could you buy a warranty from merc. here ?

are you sure you are comparing like for like ? €5k seems alot to save on a c class ? Paul Tobin imports alot but rarely has c class , i am sure if the savings where that great he would have - though i do see my local mb dealer importing c class.

if you are saving €5k do you really need a warranty - just put some cash aside.

Noticed MSL in Cork unloading a truckful of yellow regs the other day. Seemed to be larger models alright though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement