Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With Buying A Present

Options
  • 17-06-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi. I am hoping for some advice on buying my father a watch for his 70th birthday.

He has been dropping major hints for a specific watch. Hopefully someone will be able to point me at what he wants,and where to get it.

He says - a " Waltham " full hunter, 2 inch pocket watch in silver. Preferably a vintage one, in good condition.

Anywhere on line to buy one and at what cost.

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭ra0044

blue5000 wrote: »

Hi

Thanks for the link. At least I know what I am looking for now.

I have about 6 weeks untill his birthday.

Is there anything specifically I need to look out for when buying one.

I'm no expert at all. But with vintage watches good condition and originality is very important. If they were dropped they were shagged basically.

Dials are sometimes re-painted, again condition and how well it was done is important for value. The difference I think between a half hunter and a hunter is that one has a small glass dial in the cover so the time can be seen without opening the cover, not sure which is which though.:confused:

Watch out for cracks in the enamel dial and dents in the case. I'm sure there are other people on here that are more knowledgeable than me. Google english silver hallmarks as well so you can see what's on a watch you are buying. Hold down the ctrl button and press the + button to zoom in on photos. One last tip for internet shopping is buy the seller ie. +ive feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Do a search on ebay and if any look buyable then post the link in here before you bid. There are a good few of us here who should be able to give you some advice on whether you are buying an over priced piece of scrap metal or something much better.

Menas wrote: »
    Do a search on ebay and if any look buyable then post the link in here before you bid. There are a good few of us here who should be able to give you some advice on whether you are buying an over priced piece of scrap metal or something much better.

Thanks for this. Really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

For something like a Waltham pocket watch it would probably be worth looking in the bricks and mortar antiques dealers as well.

Any luck yet OP?

Haven't found the perfect watch yet apparently.

Still looking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Sorry to hijack the thread?

Any thoughts on this Waltham Traveler Demi-Hunter? Did I pay too much at about E50 delivered? Seems a bargain. I bought it about a week ago on eBay. I think its an 1884 movement.

Not running. I did release the mainspring, hoping that might give it some life. It was fully wound, and did release, but no joy. Its in a sorry state anyway, so I was planning to get it restored as a present to me! :D It caught my eye as, among other pocketwatches, I now have my late father's brass imitation Waltham quartz demi-hunter.

Who do you all recommend? Michael Swift or is there someone good value and on the ball in the Midlands or nearby? I see Kilkenny, Loughrea but I also see steep prices. I also have a Sekonda mechanical skeleton 'Classique' (Argos model) that was also fully wound, got released but also refuses to run.

Sorry for hijacking the thread OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Michael Swift is class and has done great work for me and a few others here.

Wibbs will prob be along soon, he know the Antique stuff backwards.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Michael Swift is class and has done great work for me and a few others here.
    +1000
    Wibbs will prob be along soon, he know the Antique stuff backwards.
    Da fuq?

anigif_enhanced-buzz-1468-1377908599-16.gif

:D:D

50 quid you can;t really go too far wrong. Though what it may cost to get it running again… In situations like this - and god I've been in them :) - I found a further patient trawl on ebay for donor bits and bobs worked wonders. Cool watch though Red king.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Wibbs wrote: »

Da fuq?

You are here aint ya !!

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement