Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding advice

Options
  • 17-06-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice on 2 week old feeding.

We are feeding my little girl aptimel for newborn.the first week feeding was a doddle and she drank all the bottle and then slept for about 4 hours before wanting to be fed again.only in the last few days she seems to be never satisfied and struggles to sleep and seems to be hungry after about 2 hours and easily takes another bottle.
    She takes 5 scoops of aptimel per 150ml water on a bottle.
    Should I up it to 6 scoops or is it just aptimel that's the issue as I've heard its a lighter feed than other brands

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Hi op,

When I was last with the Phn she told me if the baby is still hungry then just use the aptimal for hungry babies and not to keep upping the amount of oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Hmmm I wouldn't rush to the hungry formula. The baby is only two weeks old. At that stage there's a growth spurt so I'd feed on demand. If you need to.give another bottle just follow the baby's lead rather than counting ounces and switching formula.
    Most phn advice is extremely hit and miss so I set no store in it. Newborns need feeding on demand, they're still.getting used to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

lazygal wrote: »
    Hmmm I wouldn't rush to the hungry formula. The baby is only two weeks old. At that stage there's a growth spurt so I'd feed on demand. If you need to.give another bottle just follow the baby's lead rather than counting ounces and switching formula.
    Most phn advice is extremely hit and miss so I set no store in it. Newborns need feeding on demand, they're still.getting used to the world.

Ye I think ur right.we did try a hungrier feed for a day and didn't seem to agree with her.maybe she is just a hungry baby and needs more food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

There is a growth spurt around now where they for 1-2 days solid. Just feed on demand and see if it calms down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hungry milk is not recommended for a baby so young. Just give another couple ounces or whatever she needs. For aptimal an extra ounce is 1 scoop to 30ml water. So just make up what she needs accordingly. There is a growth spurt at 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    Ye I think ur right.we did try a hungrier feed for a day and didn't seem to agree with her.maybe she is just a hungry baby and needs more food
    I don't think a two week old can be decribed as any type of baby, because they are still getting used to everything. There is a near constant growth spurt during the early weeks too. I combination fed my first and if she needed more, I just offered it to her. You can't overfeed at this stage. When I was BF my second he was on the breast around the clock till about six weeks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Its a growth spurt.

Don't give her hungry baby formula, an extra amount in the bottle will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Umpalumpa wrote: »

All babies are hungry. That's what they do - feed, sleep, poop! I've never understood this hungry formula notion - it's just a formula company marketing spiel. Just stick with the same milk and allow baby to feed more often on demand. Breastfed babies don't get "hungry milk" from the breast - they just feed more at the breast when going through a grown spurt. Formula fed babies should be no different. Hungey formula is just a money making racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My guy was like that and i just kep upping and upping the ounces. I worried alot about over feeding him tbh as he was constatly hungry. PHN and gp (and a few boardsies) told me not to be worried that he wouldnt over feed.
    I eventually tried hungrier baby at around 8ish weeks (its a blur now exactly when i tried) helped a bit but constipated him. So we just stuck it out.
    Hes 14 mnths now and still a hungry baba. Its great though. He eats anything for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Hungey formula is just a money making racket.

Why is it a money racket? Genuine question and not been smart. Is it more expensive than other formulas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Why is it a money racket? Genuine question and not been smart. Is it more expensive than other formulas?

Because it's absolute nonense the concept that there's a need for a "hungry baby formula". All babies are hungry. All humans get hungry. If you eat and you are still hungry after, you eat an extra portion. You don't go for a stodgier version of your dinner instead, rather than having a second helping.

Hungry formula just makes no sense to me. If you compare breast milk and regular formula milk in isolation - why is it then that there is hungry formula also? Why isn't there a "hungry" button on my boob for when my baby is "hungry"? :D Breastfed babies just feed for longer - the milk is still the same, they just take more of it. Formula fed babies should be no different - just let them have an extra bottle and see what they want to take. Their tummies are so tiny, they don't need that hungry stodge which will upset their little tummies. It's just all a marketing ploy so formula companies can push a useless product. I don't know the cost of it or anything but it's just a pointless product in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's one of the principles of marketing... Product differentiation. Getting you to think you need a custom product for your situation. It's why there are millions of types of shampoo for hair length, colour etc, and why there must be three zillion yoghurts on the shelves. All basically the same thing, in a different packet.

So if a formula isn't suiting your child, they hope you move to the 'hungry' version instead of trying a different brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

pwurple wrote: »
    It's one of the principles of marketing... Product differentiation. Getting you to think you need a custom product for your situation. It's why there are millions of types of shampoo for hair length, colour etc, and why there must be three zillion yoghurts on the shelves. All basically the same thing, in a different packet.

So if a formula isn't suiting your child, they hope you move to the 'hungry' version instead of trying a different brand.

Ah gotcha. Just didn't get it as if you are using hungry formula you are buying formula anyways so they have your money! I wouldn't use it myself and I just added in an extra feed when my baby got hungrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Same idea with the follow on milks - another way to keep you buying formula milk when there is no need.

Advertisement