Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Studio 2010, charts from Database

Options
  • 17-06-2015 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

One of the guys asked me to create a program, I was hoping to use Visual Studio 2010, as I have it available here. I'm a bit of n00b with programming, haven't done much in the last 20 years, and to be honest didn't do much back then either.
    Last year I used visual studio to make a picture viewer and then expanded this to a small app on a USB drive that allowed me to open up any programs on the drive that I required to Scan, fix and clean computers...

I'm really looking for some ideas to start this project off, continue it and finish with something that looks reasonably good. BTW, I'm not getting paid for this, it's a favour.
    If you've a website or Book that you can recommend or anything that can help?

Info on the Program:
    I need to create a Program where the Admin can Update/edit the database part of the program.
    The output would be an easy to use screen (Like a windows form?), which would have Pie-chart/s
    Ideally if the Admin had to give this to a standard user, they would be able to use it but not alter any of the Database (Passcode?).

The Data for the Pie Chart needs to be from a database (must be part of the program), that the Admin can Update, add to and edit, as required.

Product 1 - Source - Date - Component A - Subcomponent a1
    Product 1 - Source - Date - Component A - Subcomponent a2
    Product 1 - Source - Date - Component A - Subcomponent a3
    Product 1 - Source - Date - Component A - Subcomponent a4
    Product 1 - Source - Date - Component B - Subcomponent a1
    Product 1 - Source - Date - Component B - Subcomponent a2
    Product 1 - Source - Date - Component B - Subcomponent a3
    Product 1 - Source - Date - Component B - Subcomponent aa7
    Product 1 - Source - Date - Component C - Subcomponent v1
    Product 1 - Source - Date - Component C - Subcomponent n1
    Product 1 - Source - Date - Component C - Subcomponent am1
    Product 1 - Source - Date - Component C - Subcomponent cf1

So Its the Components that are Charted 1st, there's only about 12 or 14 components total and these would be common across several products, with some having all 14 and some only a few.
    Then the Sub-Components need to be displayed and ones over a limit set by the admin are hilighted.

Adding another Product or incrementing one would update the graph to include all Components, by type.

User selects or drags Product to selection area, Selection Area then populates Main Graph
    Program needs to Display main Pie Chart depending on items selected, and also data quantities to be displayed beside the main Pie chart.

It sounds complicated, but I have an Idea of how it should look and display everything, I just don't know where to start with Studio.

Thanks,
    Stamphy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Visual Studio is not a programming language. Pick a language first!

Can you not just use excel or access instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stamphy

I have this mostly done in Excel, but Admin looking for Program that can be given out that does not require Excel.

Can you suggest Suitable Language for Visual Studio, was thinking C++?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'd go with C#. If this communicates with a DB and if you're using Microsoft SQL Management Studio, you 'could' create an SSIS package.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Talisman

Stamphy wrote: »
    I have this mostly done in Excel, but Admin looking for Program that can be given out that does not require Excel.

Can you suggest Suitable Language for Visual Studio, was thinking C++?
    Is the application supposed to be self contained i.e. it includes the data or is it going to remotely access the data in a database?

• Advertisement
Advertisement