Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it unusual for a Principal or Vp to....

Options
  • 17-06-2015 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Is it unusual for a Principal or a VP to ring your referees for a reference after you have been invited to interview but haven't had your interview yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I've only done two teaching interviews in my life but on both occasions the Principal referred to having spoken to a referee in advance (it was mentioned relatively casually in the interview and not made a big deal of). It seems to me to be a reasonable manner of short-listing people.

Whether it would be 'unusual' is another matter as I couldnt say how commonly it occurs. But in my albeit brief experience of the process it happened 100 per cent of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 patriciaf6

Perfect thank you! I was just a bit shocked to hear they rang for a reference after i'd been shortlisted and received a time and date of interview. I feel under pressure now as well knowing my referees have done their hard work, now its all down to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I doubt it's unusual, for some jobs some candidates may stand out as potentials from the job from their application and it's no harm checking out the reference to back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Especially as you want to catch referees before they go on hols

Advertisement