Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport name change - double barrel after marriage

Options
  • 17-06-2015 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    I am an Irish citizen living in the UK. I recently got married in the UK and we are looking to update our surnames to become double-barrelled.

My passport is due for renewal early next year so I thought I would change this first before I change all my other documents here. All my affairs are in the UK. Would a marriage certificate be sufficient to change my Irish passport to my new double barreled name? If not, would a UK deed poll be sufficient and would this need to be certified? All the information online advise that I get my passport updated first before changing any other documents.

Any advice would be appreciated? (impossible to get anyone to answer the telephone from the passport office).

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Does your marriage cert have the double barrel name on it. If so all you need do is submit it with your application.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/applying_for_or_renewing_an_irish_passport.html

Titles such as Mr, Mrs, Ms, Dr, Rev., Sir, Lord, Lady are not entered on Irish passports.

A passport may be issued in the married or civil partnership name of an applicant if a civil marriage certificate or a civil partnership certificate is submitted.

If the name you are known by is different from the name on your birth certificate and it is not due to marriage, civil partnership or adoption, you will have to supply documentary evidence that you have been continually using the name for at least 2 years. Examples of such documentation include a driving licence, bank statements, insurance, tax and social welfare documents. You should include at least 2 examples with your application.

If the name on your passport will not be exactly the same as the name on your birth certificate, you can indicate on the application form that you also want your birth certificate name noted on the passport. This can help to avoid difficulties if you apply for a visa or work permit abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 walmon1977

Thanks

No, the marriage certificate is our original (birth) surnames.

I have seen this information online already however, the UK authorities advise that I update my passport first before changing any other documents (eg drivers licence etc). This obviously contradicts the Irish regulations (2 years usage). I could execute a UK deed poll to change my UK documents but as part of this, I need to declare that I am using my new surname for all purposes.

Would a certified UK deed poll be sufficient to update my passport?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

After marriage, you can update your passport to include your partner's name alongside your own.
    ken wrote: »
    If the name you are known by is different from the name on your birth certificate and it is not due to marriage, civil partnership or adoption, you will have to supply documentary evidence that you have been continually using the name for at least 2 years.
    Birth certificates didn't have the child's surname included until 1997.

Anyone born before 1997 is entitled to use either name, or both.

Advertisement