Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminding cost in Dublin?

Options
  • 17-06-2015 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

We've just been quoted €10 per hour by somebody who would mind the child in her (the childminder's) own home. €10 x 8 (hours per day) x 22 (days per month) = €1760 per month of our after-tax income. (The same childminder will be looking after a couple of other children at the same time.) A friend in Dundrum told us she is paying €5 per hour, which consequently was the sort of figure we were expecting to pay.

€10 per hour seems ridiculously expensive in the "I'm changing careers" sort of way. What type of prices have other people been quoted? (As the location has some say in price, this childminder was in Blackrock)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Not in your own house? That seems a bit bonkers! We're paying 180 a week in morth Kildare for our baba to go to hers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Not in your own house? That seems a bit bonkers! We're paying 180 a week in morth Kildare for our baba to go to hers

Precisely; the child would be in the childminder's own home, where she also has other children. We we expecting it to be cheaper than a crèche, because of the other children, low overheads and she's getting cash in the hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

For childminding in the minder's home, we pay a weekly rate and there's not an extra charge for time outside the agreed times. The average seems to be €35-€60 a day depending on the hours and we're in Dublin. I'm now going to have a minder coming to our home for a number of reasons and it is a more expensive option, at €10-€12 an hour, then their meals, PRSI etc has to be factored in. I don't know anyone, unless its only a hour or two a couple of times a week, who pays by the hour for their child to be minded in the minder's home. Its always a daily or weekly rate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Www.childminding.ie is a good resource .

Full time it usually averages about 4 to 5 euro an hour .
    800 to 1k a month for a 50 or so hour week .
    For an insured registered minder .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A creche will cost you about 1000 a month and is much less likely to let you down. They are generally open every week bar christmas, presumably your chid minder will want to go on holiday which means you need alternative arrangements or to take your hols based on your child minders. Also if your child minder is sick or has a family emergency then your stuck. Obviously the creche will be slightly less flexible time wise but most open from 730 or 8 till around 6 which may not suit but is at least 10 hours a day with all meals included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

How many children is it for OP? Any childminder I have heard of in dublin who minds children in their own home is €5 per hour. But I'm
    Sure his would be €10 for 2 children for example. Bonkers if she is charging u that for only 1 child tho! We pay our minder €12 per hour to mind our 2 children in our own home. I think a minder in your own home averages around the €10-12 mark in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Sligo1 wrote: »
    How many children is it for OP? Any childminder I have heard of in dublin who minds children in their own home is €5 per hour. But I'm
    Sure his would be €10 for 2 children for example. Bonkers if she is charging u that for only 1 child tho! We pay our minder €12 per hour to mind our 2 children in our own home. I think a minder in your own home averages around the €10-12 mark in Dublin.

Yes, the €10 per hour is only for one child. Some helpful responses here so far and the figures are more in line with what we were expecting to pay. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Yes, the €10 per hour is only for one child. Some helpful responses here so far and the figures are more in line with what we were expecting to pay. Thanks.

There's no way I'd pay that for a minder in the minders house for one child! Especially when she might have 5 or so children.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Sligo1 wrote: »
    There's no way I'd pay that for a minder in the minders house for one child! Especially when she might have 5 or so children.

If she had five children being minded that's €50 an hour. A lot for any child care worker, especially in her own home. If each of them were there for five hours, that adds up to a large income for childminding.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

If she has 5 children she need to be registered

You must notify the HSE once you mind 4 preschool children who come from more than one family and are not related to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Hi, we used to pay €300 per week in Blackrock Dublin, in minders own home. 80/day is way too much

Advertisement