Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Didn't get the job, now what

Options
  • 17-06-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've been teaching in a school for the last year, re interviewed last week for the rpt position and I found out today I wasn't successful and I've been placed on the panel from which any vacancies that may arise will be filled from. To say I am lost is an understatement.

Any advice on what I should do from here, at the minute I feel like giving up teaching completely. It's 4 years since I graduated and this latest setback seems a step too far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job.
    It must be especially hard since you were working in that position for the last year.
    Unfortunately, 4 years isn't considered very "long" to still be on the job hunt.

On the upside, it's still relatively early in the summer in terms of jobs.
    Don't lose heart and keep applying for everything in your subjects.
    Your experience last year will stand to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Was your post rolled into another post and advertised as a bigger job or just your own hours re advertised? The latter there's unfortunately nothing to be done, the former I think I heard in our staff room the union were taking cases on because two/three jobs were rolled into one and the other two were effectively let go as a result. Haven't heard if the Union got anywhere tho

• Registered Users Posts: 34 patriciaf6

Lost 20151-Hard looking on not getting the job! That's tough to take but another school will be damn glad of your experience. Keep applying,everything happens for a reason! There could be a better job waiting out there for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭5ub

Sorry to hear that man tis awful bad news especially after being there the last year. I was in the same spot as you myself last week but I was rehired a few days ago luckily. I was saying to one of the lads there though would you even want to go back if a vacancy came up down the line? I know it isn't exactly easy finding places anywhere currently and the lads were calling me on this but I wouldn't be up for going back myself if I was called

Keep looking and hopefully you'll find something, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

That must be very tough to take, sorry to hear. Seems schools have their absolute pick of teachers. Got a rejection email today from a position which was only a career break. There were over 300 applications. Incredible disheartening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 patriciaf6

300 applications? What are your subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

It was for a Geography position.

Advertisement