Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe's new Right-Wing political party

Options
  • 17-06-2015 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭

https://news.vice.com/article/french-right-wing-leader-to-co-chair-new-eurosceptic-party-within-european-parliament
    Several leaders of right and far-right European political parties, including Marine Le Pen, the president of the French Front National (FN), and Geert Wilders, the leader of the Dutch PVV, announced on Tuesday morning during a press conference that they were creating a new parliamentary party within the European Parliament, bringing together members of parliament from seven different parties. This group will be called "Europe of Nations and Freedoms."

It has recently reached its necessary requirement to having members from 7 European Member States, giving them an official position as a European Parliamentary Party, and increasing their total budget to around €4.5 million. However:
    With 36 members, the group is the smallest in the European Parliament.

They have yet to release their platforms/goals, but I think it quite sure that it will be based on restricting immigration and restricting the Foreign Aid expenditures of many countries.

So, what do you think: this party is the beginning of a change in European Governance, or is it just a fart in the wind of little relevance? Personally, I'm somewhat sceptical of its ability to enact changes in Europe, but it is a welcome development to the largely unipolar European system where your choice is between the left-wing and slightly less left left-wing.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod: Moved from main forum. OP, might be no harm to set out your views on them more clearly to get the discussion going

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

There is definitely a trend towards anti-immigration across as the EU as demonstrated by the DPP success in Denmark today. I don't think the vast majority of people voting for these parties are racist. They feel they have no choice other than vote for these parties in order to be heard. Immigration is happening too fast in their eyes and it's something that is irreversible.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a right-wing thing. Some left-wing people support anti-immigration in order to make sure that the existing Social Democratic policies are sustainable and affordable. Even the DPP want to redirect the money saved from looking after migrants to sick and elderly Danish people. So apart than immigration, they do have some non-right wing policies as well.

The day of dismissing anyone who votes for an anti-immigration party as a fringe right-wing racist should now be over; and hopefully a real debate can start.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There is definitely a trend towards anti-immigration across as the EU as demonstrated by the DPP success in Denmark today. I don't think the vast majority of people voting for these parties are racist.
    I'm fairly sure they don't consider themselves racist, that's for sure.

I'm not pleased to see DF do so well, but remember that neither are the four in five Danes who voted for someone other than them. There's a lot of rhetoric doing the rounds in Denmark today that would sound familiar to anyone who's ever threatened to emigrate if Sinn Féin were to get into government here.

So, yes: there's a steady growth in the number of people who will vote for a party that confirms their suspicions that whatever the country's problems are, they are all the foreigners' fault. Their growing numbers isn't making them any more right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Not a surprise a so called right wing party's are on the rise. There is very little debate in European politics , no wonder so called far right and far left parties are on the increase. Look at this country Labour and FG in coalition. There's no logic for parties with supposed opposing ideological differences to go into coalition, other than the people at the top just want power for power sake.

It maybe a good thing that alternative parties push mainstream parties back to there core principles. But I suspect mainstream parties will stick together and thus ecouraging new parties to emerge.

Advertisement