Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Council Qualification Shortfall

Options
  • 17-06-2015 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

So after an 8 month process I finally received a TC Qualification assessment approval. However, its conditional. And i just cant make out why.
    I qualified in Australia, 4 years FT BA/ BEd, post primary History and English.
    The TC have only registered me for History, with a request to do a single module course in irish history via Oscail in DCU. This i have no problem with as i would like to get up to speed myself and feel confident teaching the topic. Its c.800Euro but again, i'll do it.
    The thing is, TC state I am 15 credits short in English and in order to get registered for my second subject another OScail single module is suggested. ANother 800Euro.
    I just dont get it - my degree would have seen equal credits in hostory and english the whole way through. I have lodged another 50 E with TC for a review as I just cant understand why I need to do this.
    Any ideas, im really quite mad. We are on a single income with 3 smallies and Im doing my best to get back to the workforce.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 abra1

Should mention the recommended Single module is late 20th century literature - i would have done modern and post modern lit - and taught for several years. Grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

No ideas other than to say if €1600 is the fee for the two modules - which you should be able to get before this Christmas - which you need to be fully registered, remember you will be entitled to tax back at the rate of 20% on the €600 - i.e. the final fee will be €1480 (the Revenue disregards the first €1000).

Additionally, if you are in a school teaching even a few hours, you also can apply for the Teachers' Refund Scheme. I received c. €1400 from that one year, but the following year I only received c. €750 - the amount given out depends on the number of applicants and their budget in a given year.

You're almost there. Best of luck.

Advertisement