Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby bouncer at this stage?

Options
  • 16-06-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

We never got a baby bouncer/jumparoo type thingy as there's not much space at home but now i'm wondering if we should get one but LO is 8.5 months. He has almost grown out of his bouncy chair and is not yet sitting unaided so goes between bouncy chair (nearly too big for it)/ playgym/mat/ or floor. I don't mind myself but getting a childminder soon and wondering would be a good idea to have another "station" for him if he gets bored? Are they good for leg strength?? I'm now wondering if I should have had one sooner as so many people rave about them.

If so, what would I get for his age now? He's about 10kg.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

You could try a stationary entertainment centre? That and the jumperoo proved very popular with our little girl, but she would have had the stationary entertainer from about 4 months and would nearly have been out of it by your little lads age. She was tall for her age though and quite mobile. We used the jumperoo from about 5/6 months and got 3/4 months out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Personally I would just ride through it. It's a phase that will only last so long and your money will be better spent in a few months when the baby's sitting /mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I wouldn't bother! Your LO could be crawling in 2 weeks! I just bought foam mats to play on. They are very handy if your LO is wobbly http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-4-foam-mats-interlocking-playmats/207-9376.prd

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I agree with the others - my son had outgrown the jumperoo by 8 months so it would be a waste of money for you. We had the foam mats with the letters - I put them away when he became very mobile as he just used them to throw around but when he's a bit older I'll take them back out for him to play with a bit more constructively!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No point. You can't 'teach' a child to sit, stand or walk. It's a developmental change.

They will be too big for a Jumparoo in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Thanks. Just hope I haven't disadvantaged him by not having him in a bouncer thing for leg strength up til now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Our LO loved her door bouncer. I'd highly recommend one. As other posters have said, each child is different. Ours was walking at 8 months.

You can get them on adverts.ie for less than 10 EUR. At that price and even for only a few weeks, you both might enjoy having one.

And if you're planning on having more kids, at least you'll have one for the next one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

73trix wrote: »
    Thanks. Just hope I haven't disadvantaged him by not having him in a bouncer thing for leg strength up til now.

Leg strength won't do anything. A consultant told us years ago... "They don't walk with their legs, they walk with their brain."

Babies with huge disabilities learn to walk in the same timeframe as everyone else. I've seen babies with one leg walk. This is the second or third thread on this baby not sitting up like someone else's baby you met. This will happen for the rest of your life, so we have to get used to it and not try to 'fix' our children. I remember when I figured that out. I was listening to a 2 year old sing twinkle twinkle perfectly in tune with all the lyrics, while my older girl couldn't do one line of it. I'm over it now. (after about two weeks of coaching it, I realised it's just not for her!) :)

It's nothing to do with leg strength, or modern toys. Bouncers are a toy you use to distract/contain a baby for about 15 minutes a couple of times a day, while mammy or daddy gets to load the dishwasher or do some ironing. Playing with your baby without them is just as good, probably better!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Jumperoo is great... It allows me to go to the loo and know he won't get into any trouble! At 8 months you mightn't get the value out of it but if you can get your hands on a 2nd hand one or one in the sales I'd go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

If you wanted more of a 'seat' we had a BabyBjorn Babysotter bouncer and my girl was in it until she was 2! My son didn't use it quite so long but still was definitely using it at 8 months. It's a bouncer but quite big, and turns into a seat when they get older. If you're stuck for space they're great cause they fold flat in one click so easily stored and easily transported if you are going anywhere.
    I'd bet you could buy online second hand for a good bit cheaper than new too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

I am getting a lot of mileage out of this inflatable 'sit me up' ring - its great if they're sitting but not quite there yet! I got it for 20 euro in Smyths ... i'm sure you could pick one up second hand for less than half that.

red-kite-sit-me-up-seat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    I am getting a lot of mileage out of this inflatable 'sit me up' ring - its great if they're sitting but not quite there yet! I got it for 20 euro in Smyths ... i'm sure you could pick one up second hand for less than half that.

red-kite-sit-me-up-seat.jpg

+1 on these

On a side note I always thought bouncers were supposed to delay walking? Maybe my memory is failing me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I have a door bouncer and DS still loves it even though he crawl shuffles and tries to stand and walk holding on to bits.

It does up to 12 kg only so he is nearly at the end of it. It keeps him entertained while I put on dinner. Activity centres are great too.

I have a loan of a jumparoo from a friend which I thought he'd love but has very little time for it

Advertisement