Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it possibke to get a decent ckasdic car for 2k to 2.5k?

Options
  • 16-06-2015 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Ok so just sold my 330i e90 about a month or so ago I bought a Passat which has been depressing me something fierce.

I had been thinking of trying to sell the Passat and getting maybe a 525d e60 to try get some sense of love of driving back.

I've never owned a classic car so not sure of the pros and cons regards insurance and running costs.

But would it be possible to get a classic car that would give me back the joy of driving?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

You'd get a decent Porsche 924 for that money. But it won't compare to an E90 or E60.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

You'd get a decent Porsche 924 for that money. But it won't compare to an E90 or E60.

Yea not many cars will compare to the e90 I had.

But if I could find something that gives me a thrill to drive I'd be happy. Was thinking old Porsche , Capri or even seen an 86 Celica for sale which shortly will be classic and change the Passat for a CL7 Accord as the daily driver. Over changing to 525d or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Any Porsche for 2k would not be decent, would be stuck together

liam7831 wrote: »
    Any Porsche for 2k would not be decent, would be stuck together

Not so with 924s. There are good ones out there, not mint, but perfectly usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Not so with 924s. There are good ones out there, not mint, but perfectly usable.

But realistically they would need parts which would run into 3 or 4 grand once fitted by mechanic

• Advertisement

liam7831 wrote: »
    But realistically they would need parts which would run into 3 or 4 grand once fitted by mechanic

Where are you getting these figures from? Do you know how much 924 parts cost? Not much, as they were mostly pinched from Audi and VW.

OP asked about a 2 to 2.5k classic, and I suggested one. Only a fool would run out and buy a ****ter before handing over double the purchase price to a mechanic. Why not just give the same mechanic 200 to inspect the car first!? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Indeed, but as soon as you grab the door handle you realise it's a VW parts bin car. And that low steering wheel drives me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Indeed, but as soon as you grab the door handle you realise it's a VW parts bin car. And that low steering wheel drives me nuts.

Don't talk to me about those flappy handles. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

And that low steering wheel drives me nuts.
    That's a feature that allows you to drive with your knees for long distances. Don't knock it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement