Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Adams accepts Grand Slam of Darts place.

Options

Comments

Think he would have had a much better chance a few years back, when Scott Waites was strong in it and Adams was pretty much the next best in the BDO. He won't lack for experience, don;t see him being well beaten, just think he's not at the level where he might be in the running any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Anyone know why he's changed his tune all of a sudden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

mdwexford wrote: »
    Anyone know why he's changed his tune all of a sudden?

Money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Whats he going to do when the crowd start singing or booing? The referee in the PDC wont be shouting best of order for him like in BDO. For no reason atall I really dont like him so im hoping he gets the brush all 3 group games :-) Looking forward to seeing Scott Mitchell in it this year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

a nice little paycheque....I thought the PDC stopped even offering him the invitation.

I want to see him get beat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Money.

Wouldn't think so.

He's turned it down for the past 7 years so why now all of a sudden?

Surely he has enough money at this stage and why give up his BDO beliefs now.

My guess is he only has a few years left in him and wants to prove he could have cut it with the PDC lads all along...

Think he's left it too late though.
    Will be interesting tv anyway that's for sure.

mdwexford wrote:
    My guess is he only has a few years left in him and wants to prove he could have cut it with the PDC lads all along...

Exactly my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

prob the most shocking news darts wise since ted hankeys swap to pdc
    after all his talking he goes back on his word
    claims the bdo asked him to go so hes going now
    cant see him doing much, crowd are going to murder him
    the money he has missed out on over the years by just not even turning up is madness
    he couldnt be that rich playing in the bdo

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Michael2107

Isn't Adams one of the shareholders in the BDO? Maybe Hearn is going to put in another bid for them and this time it will be accepted?

mdwexford wrote: »
    Wouldn't think so.

He's turned it down for the past 7 years so why now all of a sudden?

Surely he has enough money at this stage and why give up his BDO beliefs now.

Think he's left it too late though.
    Will be interesting tv anyway that's for sure.

He's near the end of his career and big paychecks are hard to come by in the BDO, I'm guessing he's thinking about his pension at this stage so he has put his massive ego to one side and swallowed a large chunk of his pride too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

He won't do well. His best averages are around a hundred and the top players in the PDC are averaging a hundred on a bad day. That and the pressure, the crowds roaring and shouting and I can't see him making any real impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Never like Adams, although he was involved in some great games.

This can only be about the money, if he was trying to show he could cut it with the big boys he would have done it years ago, much greater depth in the PDC now and he'll definitely be out of his depth!!!

TbL

Guess we were all well wrong boys! Averaging well over a ton and the crowd love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd say between his sponsorship, exhibitions (which he's in high demand for) and prize money (limited in the BDO I know) Wolfie makes a decent living from the game.

I'd say between his sponsorship, exhibitions (which he's in high demand for) and prize money (limited in the BDO I know) Wolfie makes a decent living from the game.

I read somewhere yesterday, Wolfie has won 10k in prize money only 16 times in his career. Van Gerwen has won over 10k 17 times this year. BDO prize money is unbelievable really.
    He seems like a fella who just does it for pleasure rather than money which is good to see.

I've never heard of a wolfie exhibition, I doubt he comes to Ireland to often? He'd be good craic

Ah yeah the money doesn't compare at all. Take their big events even, the Winner's share for the World Trophy this year was £10,000, Winmau World Masters £25,000 to winner, the Zuiderduin Masters is around 10,000 euro to the winner. Other events like the British Open, Scottish Open, England Classic and Dutch Open are averaging around 5,000 first prize. In many of these opens you'll have to win 3 or 4 rounds to even recoup your entry fee.

Only serious payday is the Worlds, £100,000 winner, £35,000 runner up.

Ah now lads, lets not get too take away by Wolfie....the real question is "Could he do it fulltime in the PDC?" LOL

I wonder if he wins lakeside would be accept the PDC tourcard invitation? (thats still on offer to semi-finalists up right?)

Devastator wrote:
    I wonder if he wins lakeside would be accept the PDC tourcard invitation? (thats still on offer to semi-finalists up right?)

No, Scott Mitchell was the first ever winner not to be offered a tour card. He said he would go if invited.

And, na, I don't think Martin would make much of an impact in the PDC full time, the standard on the floor tournaments would be too much for him I think to produce those performances almost every weekend. The initial adrenaline buzz will fade off much like Bunting. Looking forward to seeing him and Duzza next year though.

Can't believe that only 2 of the top 8 BDO players were at the slam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Devastator wrote: »
    Ah now lads, lets not get too take away by Wolfie....the real question is "Could he do it fulltime in the PDC?" LOL

He's 59 years old...hard to see him doing the circuit.
    I'd say he's glad he did the GSoD and showed that he can compete.

gramar wrote:
    He's 59 years old...hard to see him doing the circuit. I'd say he's glad he did the GSoD and showed that he can compete.

Jesus didn't think he was that old, but definitely too old to be travelling to all the pro tour and euro tour events. I think he'd struggle to qualify for much. I prefer watching him at Lakeside anyway.

• Advertisement

ComfortKid wrote: »
    No, Scott Mitchell was the first ever winner not to be offered a tour card. He said he would go if invited.

I wonder why they stopped offering that, mustn't have thought it was worthwhile. Suppose if the players want they can still try that qualifying school for a tourcard place.

Sure Wolfie is a PDC failure anyway. He went to PDC events in 2001 or something and was crap apparently as sky kept mentioning in each of his GSOD games

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Devastator wrote: »
    Sure Wolfie is a PDC failure anyway. He went to PDC events in 2001 or something and was crap apparently as sky kept mentioning in each of his GSOD games

He was far from crap, he made the semi-final of the Matchplay and the Quarter Final of the Grand Prix. Both in 2001. This was a time you could play in both organisations at the same time. When they changed the rules that you had to choose one or the other he chose the BDO so he could continue playing for England.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    He was far from crap, he made the semi-final of the Matchplay and the Quarter Final of the Grand Prix. Both in 2001. This was a time you could play in both organisations at the same time. When they changed the rules that you had to choose one or the other he chose the BDO so he could continue playing for England.

I was having a dig at the way sky were talking about it :D

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Jesus didn't think he was that old, but definitely too old to be travelling to all the pro tour and euro tour events. I think he'd struggle to qualify for much. I prefer watching him at Lakeside anyway.

The way people say that, you would swear they were boxing every week!

Look at Bernie Ecclestone, the man is 85 and travels all over the world running F1. Wolfie seems to be in great shape for his age, he could pass for 10 years younger so who is to say he couldn't do it?

Talking about Wolfie's chances at Lakeside in the new year I think Durrant will win it and switch over to PDC like Bunting did. The old threat about withholding prize money doesn't seem to work for BDO anymore. If it were ever legally challenged it wouldn't stand up in court anyway.

That semi final Durrant and wolfie had last January was an entrawling affair, it would be interesting to see them meet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I have to say, Adams won me round to the extent that i was almost actually cheering him during his final match of the tournament. It was good to see him play in the PDC event, i hope he comes back next year.

The BDO really need to sort out their qualifying system though. The fact that the likes of Glen Durrant wasn't there is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

monkey9 wrote: »
    The BDO really need to sort out their qualifying system though. The fact that the likes of Glen Durrant wasn't there is silly.

In fairness its the PDC that decide the qualifying system, and Durrant didn't get to the final of either of the events (Worlds, Masters) that were deemed to be worth slots, and subsequently didn't get through the open qualifier.
    So not really a BDO issue, who I'm sure would have been happy to handpick Durrant and Scott Waites to represent them.

This year was a definite BDO failure and something needs to change drastically for their qualification. I don't believe they can offer wildcards(or handpick) anyone as its now a ranking event, so on that basis I think they should take previous winners & runners up of worlds & masters over the last 2 years. If any duplicates then maybe take no1,2,3,etc from the top of the rankings.

Only having 1 player progress, with a few others being embarrassed, does the BDO no favors at all. They need to produce their best players in this type of event

Devastator wrote:
    This year was a definite BDO failure and something needs to change drastically for their qualification. I don't believe they can offer wildcards(or handpick) anyone as its now a ranking event, so on that basis I think they should take previous winners & runners up of worlds & masters over the last 2 years. If any duplicates then maybe take no1,2,3,etc from the top of the rankings.

Devastator wrote:
    Only having 1 player progress, with a few others being embarrassed, does the BDO no favors at all. They need to produce their best players in this type of event

Top 16 V Top 16 is the way I'd love to see it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement