Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF2 - 10 years on! Nostalgia posts...

Options
  • 16-06-2015 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Battlefield 2 is approaching it's 10th birthday, having been released in late June 2005.

I never played the previous Battlefields, but jumped into BF2 having finally upgraded my PC to be able to play 'higher spec' games.
    And boy I wasn't disappointed!
    I clocked up so many enjoyable hours (if not days / months!) on this game.
    The Karkand map and Dalian plant were the 2 I'd play non stop... then Wake Island once that addon came.

I'd love to go back to it, but my current PC / laptop can't run it - does anyone still go back to play it?
    What are you favourite memories from the game?
    For me, it was one of the first amazing FPS with a team element. When the teamchat worked and the teams spawned right, it was such a great tactical game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Battlefield 2 is approaching it's 10th birthday, having been released in late June 2005.

I never played the previous Battlefields, but jumped into BF2 having finally upgraded my PC to be able to play 'higher spec' games.
    And boy I wasn't disappointed!
    I clocked up so many enjoyable hours (if not days / months!) on this game.
    The Karkand map and Dalian plant were the 2 I'd play non stop... then Wake Island once that addon came.

I'd love to go back to it, but my current PC / laptop can't run it - does anyone still go back to play it?
    What are you favourite memories from the game?
    For me, it was one of the first amazing FPS with a team element. When the teamchat worked and the teams spawned right, it was such a great tactical game.

Was never as good as BFV but was a lot better than BF2142 OR whatever the sh!t it was.

Distinctly remembering using 'dolphin diving' a lot until eventually they nerfed it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://spieler-daten.de/bf2_stats/kdjac

LOL look at my commander time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Lads I might have to reinstall bf2 now ye feckers. My first and favourite battlefield game!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

An absolutely great game when it came out apart from the endless patches, think that last one was over a GB which back then would take at least 6 years to download.

Countless hours spent playing that game, learning to and finally mastering flying. I still fire it up every now and then and play single player but mainly to fly around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ah, good times. The best Battlefield title in my opinion. Karkand, Dalian Plant, Dragon Valley and Sharqui were all the biz. Remember upgrading to a 6600GT for the game and then a 7600GT during its lifespan again - probably the only game that I've ever upgraded for twice!

Isn't Project Reality now a standalone game for download?

I must try the F2P version of Battlefield 2 one of these days for old times sake. Lord knows where my actual retail copy of BF2 ended up - does the game itself still work, is it popular?

- does the game itself still work, is it popular?

Yeh it works but as there is no gamespy there are other ways of finding servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Isn't Project Reality now a standalone game for download?

downloading now :D
    man I miss BF2..really was an awesome game till patch 1.5 which screwed up every jet bar the J-10. Remember the G36C...bloody awesome gun :D

What I'd really love is a remake of BF1942...a couple of guns, spitfires, mustangs and none of this attachment **** currently in BF3/4. Dump all the ranks and have it like BF2 and I'd give my kidney for a game like it.

Blazer wrote: »
    downloading now :D
    man I miss BF2..really was an awesome game till patch 1.5 which screwed up every jet bar the J-10. Remember the G36C...bloody awesome gun :D

What I'd really love is a remake of BF1942...a couple of guns, spitfires, mustangs and none of this attachment **** currently in BF3/4. Dump all the ranks and have it like BF2 and I'd give my kidney for a game like it.

http://joinsquad.com/

This is PR, it looks awesome.

There will never be another BF game without unlocks etc as it increases play attachment.

Maybe a 42.nam DLC for Bf4 or soemthing but never a full on game. The players want unlocks.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Wow... I really loved this game. I was really good at sniping with the M203, it really annoyed people :P

It was the ultimate game for trolling.

I remember one time I took a troop chopper and loaded it up with my7 team mates. Made it look like I was flanking the enemy by flying way out to see from my base. Once I got out far enough I began climbing, I then began my loop the loop stunt while telling my passengers "Bail out! Bail out!" :P. They did just that and I finished my loop the loop and continued onto the enemy flag. They were not too impressed, but me and my house mates had a lot of fun :P I'm pretty sure I got banned from the TIG server for something similar... oops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Always Preferred the Mod's to the main gain , DCx was brilliant . POE2 .
    They were light years ahead of what the Dice EA had conceived as a game plan

Joeface wrote: »
    Always Preferred the Mod's to the main gain , DCx was brilliant . POE2 .
    They were light years ahead of what the Dice EA had conceived as a game plan

Ah they werent really. Mods are mods for a game, they dont exist without the base game.

42 and BF2 had a really good base game, mods expanded on it. But they required the base game to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Don't be picky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Jesus Project Reality is hard to get into. Cool having 100 player maps but they're so vast and it's often hard to figure out where to go. Sound is amazing though - much more realistic than any of the BF games! Standing beside a helicopter, you can't hear a damn thing over the roar of the rotors! It's fantastic for a free game though, and again it's now totally standalone so you don't need BF2. It's about 6GB to download.

http://www.realitymod.com/downloads#bf2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

^^ maybe we should get a boards squad together for it..would make it a whole lot fun even for one night a week if only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I loved BF2, remember playing from the Beta or whatever it was....when the only playable Map was Gulf of Oman.

Over time they added lots of improvements, up to patch 1.41

After that, I couldn't get into any of the addons, the special forces etc.

Looking back there were a few things that annoyed me, probably moreso back then

- Knife only servers - I hate/hated achievement hunters.
    - Towards the end ....Karkand and a few others...INFANTRY ONLY. Just nades being spammed everywhere.
    - The fact that Chinese jets were far and away the best, in fact, US lost out to MEC too in the air.
    - SpawnRaping on some of the maps
    - Standing in front of the Jet/Heli spawn with 10 others jumping waiting to get into it. (happened in BF3 too)
    - Tried one or 2 clan matches, horrible

The game was amazing though, I definitely put well over 1000 hours into it...no regrets.

Good memories...

-Dalian plant
    -Mashtuur City with a good Blackhawk chopper crew
    -Kubra Dam....doing aerial tricks through the pipe
    -Karkand...Normal...32 man ! (probably the best of all maps/modes/gametypes) ...hard to find near the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

I was a big fan of 1942 and bf2.
    Here is a long video but worth a watch imo to look back at the old times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 STintin

Hell yeah ! This thread insist me to reinstall Bf2 , capture some flag, take Dog Fight etc:P .. Iam gone play this game again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Mick_1970

Project Reality 1.3.5 is fantastic, anyone on here play it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Mick_1970 wrote: »
    Project Reality 1.3.5 is fantastic, anyone on here play it?

Yeah I play usually at weekends. There's a few Irish that you would bump into now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 STintin

Well Anyone played Bf4 ? should i Buy or go for tom clancy ghost recon future soldier ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

STintin wrote: »
    Well Anyone played Bf4 ? should i Buy or go for tom clancy ghost recon future soldier ?

There are about 15 million BF4 threads and you post in this one?

Advertisement