Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voucher query

Options
  • 16-06-2015 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭

I bought a voucher at christmas in a promotion for a family entertainment venue in North Dublin. Plan was to use during spring/summer, but due to some circumstances we didnt get to use it. I just looked and it has a 6month expiry this week. There is no possibility to use it by then. There is only 2 T&C's on it: Voucher cannot be exchanged for cash and is valid for 6 months.

the retailer is refusing to enter into discussion, the 'manager' said maybe for a week or something they could extend, but I need a month to get it all organised. I asked who could do mroe and she said she would talk to the owner and call me back sunday..they havent called back.

Its €120 so not a small amount

My thought is
    A)push to ask the owner (not the manager) to extend and call to their premises
    B)if they say no then ask for to use it for another gift voucher for same value and another 6 months. (it doesnt say I cant)
    C)If all else fails go to small claims court with case, I have tried to provide them notice and accomodation and they wont budge.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

You haven't a leg to stand on. If they do anything for you then its just good customer service but they have no obligation to do anything at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Its €120 so not a small amount

My thought is
    A)push to ask the owner (not the manager) to extend and call to their premises
    B)if they say no then ask for to use it for another gift voucher for same value and another 6 months. (it doesnt say I cant)
    C)If all else fails go to small claims court with case, I have tried to provide them notice and accomodation and they wont budge.

Any thoughts?

Forget the small claims or even suggesting to them that you will try that - you have no case, so it would fail immediately.

Did you pay €120 or was the voucher at a discounted price? - you post says in was in a promotion.

The terms are not hidden and seem to be clear - so no joy on that angle either.

Only real option is to try and see if they will allow you use it in September - my guess is it was a promotion price voucher to be used before end of June and that July / August is their peak months and like similar businesses, they need to get most income from those months to sustain them during the year. So by asking / booking a date in September and paying in advance now (with the voucher), that may be an option.

Another option is to try and sell it for half price locally - or if there's no joy, donate it to some group who would know a family who could do with a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

well as regards the 6 months, its just from the date of sale, so not for a particular summer promotion. I paid 120€ for it.

As regards the terms they dont say I cant get another voucher for my 120€ and normally vouchers do say that?

Edit: After finding out who the owners were and pushing on that basis they have extended to the end of June all vouchers sold in that promo..not perfect but definitely better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

well as regards the 6 months, its just from the date of sale, so not for a particular summer promotion. I paid 120€ for it.

As regards the terms they dont say I cant get another voucher for my 120€ and normally vouchers do say that?

Edit: After finding out who the owners were and pushing on that basis they have extended to the end of June all vouchers sold in that promo..not perfect but definitely better.

that's good - usually talking to the right people helps most! :)

as for buying vouchers with vouchers, a retailer can refuse any payment method, so that would have been out as there no law to say a seller must sell something.

The law will be changing on vouchers soon (probably before Christmas) and expiry dates will be banned, but a resonable charge can be applied after year if such charges are levied on the retailer. (electronic cards have an annual charge for the rent of the card number)
    Other consumer laws will also be changed at the same time. Bill has already been published. There will be some tweaks and then it will probably be on the dail list for Autumn and become law before Christmas selling season.

Advertisement