Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8month old routine or lack of!

Options
  • 16-06-2015 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to worry about going back to work and starting childminder etc as my little guy doesn't have a regular routine still in the mornings and I'm wondering should I try to get it more regular now in preparation.

Lo sleeps lots in morning. Routine like this:

7/7 30 wakes, bottle. Usually goes back for 30 mins snooze within hour of waking. I give breakfast 1-1.5hrs after bottle but this depends on his first nap so can be anything between 8.30 and 9. Sometimes it might be as late as 9 30. He goes for his big nap anything between 9.30 and 10.30 for between 2 and 2.5 hrs. Lunch depends on nap so usually between 12.30 and 1 but sometimes as late as 1.30 if he naps later. Bottle between 2.30 and 3.30, afternoon nap maybe an hour after lunch for 45-60 mins. Supper 5/5.30. Bottle and bed at 7pm. So his day varies quite a bit but flows from what time he wakes/ naps etc. Is this too fluid for a childminder coming in? Is he sleeping too much? He sleeps anything from 3-4 hrs a day as well as 12hrs at nite. He is in great form and development on par except slow to sit unaided so trying to work on that. He's my 1st.

Edit: it's now 7.45 and he's not awake yet so a later schedule today!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

A good childminder will work with the child's routine. They'll fall into their own pattern together. My little girl is 19 months and has been minded by grandparents four days a week since about 9/10 months. She has her own little pattern while she's there and it's evolved as she's gotten older. Her pattern at home is a bit different but she usually has no problem switching between the two.

The only time I'd worry about is wake up time, and only then if you have to bring him to the childminder. If she's coming to you then it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Our 7 month old is the same, different routine when her grand parents mind her during the week and at the weekends with me and my partner. She has no problem switching and adapting.

Just reading your routine again and I think it's pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Thanks for replies. Kinda think it'll be odd telling childminder the "routine" since its dif everyday! Do you think he sleeps too much? He slept late this morning so I kept him up from the small snooze and put him down at 9.30 as he was nodding off.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

That sounds like exactly what happens here and I think it's a grand routine. My fella sleeps about that much too. He likes his sleep. His dad stayed home all day with him for the first time last week and didn't realise how quickly he got tired hence I arrived home to a bit of a cranky pants that hadn't slept enough.
    He is not sitting up on his own yet at 7 1/2 months but is rolling around and is happy enough. Once they are happy and contented they will develop at their own pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

If you are leaving him with a childminder, you'll probably have to wake him at a certain time each day anyway to get you all out of the house on time.

Most routines go - when he wakes up do x,y,z.

• Advertisement
Advertisement