Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8month old not sitting independently

Options
  • 16-06-2015 6:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

My lo resists even when I try to aid him to do it. He will push off me and wriggle back to the floor where he'd rather roll. It seems very late not to be doing it. I'm looking at 6month old a able. I've borrowed a bumba chair which he seems to like so hoping he will get inspired! Anything else I can do? I place him between my legs on the floor with toys but he will just wriggle til he's back on the floor.

He's pretty good at rolling and always pushes to stand. When I pull him to sitting now he wants to stand and I have to position him in such a way that he stops at sitting!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My little girl was sitting in the tripod position early enough and sat up by herself within a few weeks of that. My poor sil is worrying because she is comparing my niece to her and my niece is just sitting up properly now at 9 months. My little girl was long wiggling and worming around the ground at that stage and probably standing too. My niece has great head control and good strength at pushing herself up on her front and the GP doesn't seem in the slightest bit worried about her. I suppose my point is that all babies do things at different paces. If you're really concerned though you could ask your Phn or GP and see what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I'm not sure but I think I read before that the bumbo delays sitting.
    Just keep doing the sitting on floor with him and he will get there. You can Always visit your PHN if you are concerned but It sounds like he just wants to skip on to the next step!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Thanks. This morning I went back to trying it on the bed and he was better at it as has such cushion on the duvet. The floor is still a work in progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Neither of my two were sitters. Both preferred rolling over and crawling.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

My little boy was crawling at 7 months but wasn't steady while sitting until much later. He had no interest in sitting still! I wouldn't worry about it or try to force it - he will do it in his own time.

Also - at his 7 month check I know all the PHN looked for was that he could support his trunk in the sitting position for a second or two - they were not at all looking for a steady/sturdy sitter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I would suggest not to worry as all Babies are different and just to encourage them as per the normal advice.

Try not to rush them too much either as they might just not be ready.

Taken from one website:-

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a6505/developmental-milestones-sitting

"
    My baby is nine months and still can't sit up. Should I be concerned?

If your baby isn't able to sit independently by the time she's nine months old, mention it to your doctor or health visitor. But try to remember that babies develop skills differently, some more quickly than others.

If your baby was born early (before 37 weeks of pregnancy), keep in mind that she may reach this and other milestones a little later than other babies.
    "

So it might be good to talk to PHN or GP in the next fee weeks if you are still concerned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My fella was rolling his way around the sittingroom before he could sit on his own. I found that sitting him on the floor with one of those boppy pillows supporting him helped a lot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

I heard 9 months was common as well. My lad was slow too but once he got it, he got it quickly. Sitting on the bed helped a lot especially as he could look out the window then. Also we got a box (toy box) and put him into it so he had to sit up straight and was supported on all sides. Put his toys into it to make up the space between his legs and the end of the box!

Advertisement