Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion for going over tattoo

Options
  • 15-06-2015 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I was looking at getting a tattoo of my favourite band's logo and decided to try out a new place which I'd never used before. I'd looked at the artists' work online and was happy with it and the tattoo was
    simple enough

The original plan was to get the logo but with flames as a background. I met the tattoo artist who was a very nice fella and he suggested that the flames wouldn't work with my current tattoos and that the original logo's deep black would look quite flat. He suggested getting it in red and black instead as a sort of brand, I thought it sounded grand to use red and black as contrast but wasn't expecting what I ended up with. The end result is here [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/116790/352156.JPG[/url]

It's not something I'd be happy with as it just looks like I was self harming. The artist said once it healed, he'd go over it for me so I'm wondering if there's any suggestions on what might look aesthetic so when I go back, I can have a clear idea of what to ask him to do. Given the size, I wouldn't want it to be completely black as it'd look a bit plain but I'm terrible with art so I'm not sure how exactly to go about it. Or should I just have it gone over in black and look like the original? I was mainly interested in it for the logo itself but I'm not sure how to make it look less like an open wound.

Any advice or suggestions on what to do greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I don't really have any suggestions. I think it looks good. Maybe a bit more black on the edges but I can't think of anything major to change it. Otherwise you just end up with flat black.

Anyway, I really wanted to say that TinyPic is a horrible site. Looks like an old geocities site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Reckon it'd be possible to do it in greyscale or would that be impossible over the red?

Fair point on Tinypic, uploaded it as an attachment to the post!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It could be tricky replacing the red with grey, but if done right, could make it look more like it was chiselled out of stone, so might be a look you'd be happier with.

For what it's worth, I don't think it looks like self-harming.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I like it.Its different and looks well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I really like the design and the shading, I'm just a bit uncomfortable about the red making it look like an angry burn mark.

I've never had to get a tattoo redone before. Reckon it'd be possible to go over the red in black, grey or blue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I actually love it!
    Very unique looking piece.
    As suggested above it could look well in grey and look like it was chisseled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

It's actually done very well, I was expecting a disaster pic.

I'm sure the artist can add another colour blend if you really want to change it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Lockstep wrote: »
    ...I'm just a bit uncomfortable about the red making it look like an angry burn mark...

That's exactly what makes it look like a brand though, which is what I really like about it!

Advertisement