Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual Work Review

Options
  • 15-06-2015 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Going under the radar for this one

Background, work in IT for a medium sized firm. Been there 5 years.
    Every year got a modest payrise and after 3 years was told was on the same rate as the seniors who had been on a pay freeze for those 3 years because of the recession. But we were always busy.
    Move forward to last review where I was told no money this year due to fluctuations in orders and customer contracts during the year. Took it at face value.
    Then this past year with the improvement in the economy a lot of senior staff got poached away with bigger firms offering more money. SO we had a big turnover this year.
    The company then decided to improve the pay rate of the remaining seniors to retain staff.
    Most people got double the normal increase.
    This is where my problem started.
    My review was delayed due to holidays, directors away on projects etc
    So I finally went in and was expecting the same, but I only got the normal rate, reason given was they have to look after the seniors. Now after 5 years I regard my self as a senior and am doing all the same work as a senior engineer, and more than some in fact.
    Actually the conversation started with " We know you've been looking for work !" I was shocked, even if they knew that can they throw that in your face before a work / pay review?

So do I have any comeback, can I ask for another review, can I ask them where they got information about me from outside the organisation?

I think they treated me very unprofessionally. Some of the other people that got the same treatment as me have already decided to seek employment elsewhere.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Get another job; honestly that's your best bet for a proper pay rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You can always appeal your review.

You need to base your appeal on work you've done that without doubt proves that you've done work way and above normal to get an above normal review.

Even then there is never a guarentee.

We would have a limited budget for "exceptional" pay reviews. Say it's the top 5%, now you could be doing way above the standard work, but they could still be ahead if you and so get the money. Then add in personality, time in job/grade helpfulness and a host if other stuff. It can be a minefield.

Rather than just say "look for a new job", my advice is look at your salary, are you happy with what your earning, you got a standard pay rise which is reasonable in many instances.

I know we never entertain ANY conversation of what pay rises other employees got, if you have a case to out forward for your self them that's fine, but I wouldn't say you'll get any traction going to a manager and saying " I want a bigger pay rise because Johnny got a bigger pay rise than me", it's just playground stuff and hearsay as you've no proof what Johnny got.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Perplexed! wrote: »
    can I ask them where they got information about me from outside the organisation?

You can ask. But there's pretty much zero chance they will tell you the truth.

Ireland is a small village, it's likely they are mates with other managers you are interviewing with, and may even have informal "no poaching" agreements with some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Your lack of a pay rise at your review is the least of your problems.

Having your manager point out at the start of your review that they know that you are looking elsewhere is very telling.

If you were a very valued employee, I would be proactively trying to make you stay. Pay rise at least a little above the average, a juicy project, some engineering toys etc. And I would not have addressed your job-hunting directly in case it precipitated your leaving.

If you were a less valued employee, or simply easily replaceable, then my reaction may have been different. Feeling a lack of loyalty I would have minimized the pay rise so that there would be more money for higher performers in the pot, I may have challenged you on the job-hunt, perhaps after working out that a sick day may have been an interview.

Mrs O'Bumble is correct, Ireland is a very small place indeed, employers are connected through many organisations and events and HR department in similar companies look out for each other as well. Your employer is perfectly with their rights to point out that that they know that you want to leave.

It is not the way that I would operate, but there are advantages to them to having this out in the open, one of which is that they do not have to give a pay rise, or development training, or good opportunities, or any non-contract perks, to someone that intends to leave

I would recommend that if you want to stay, it is to suck it up, tell them that you want to stay, that you want to know what you have to do to get a promotion to senior and work hard to achieve that.

But with your employer believing that loyalty and possible trust is gone, potentially future opportunities within the company may have dried up as well and you may be better off, moving onwards and hopefully upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the feed back guys, some food for thought.

To be honest I wasn't planning on moving on. I had applied for a position somewhere but just because a recruiter pushed me into it, didn't go to interview stage.

I have been a 100% employee where I am up to now, just feel very let down by the management.

I think they seen me as a safe bet and I wouldn't kick up a fuss if they offered me anything.

I may become more active in the job market as I just dont think I can trust them anymore?

We'll see, thanks again

• Advertisement

Really think about this.

You say that you do not trust them anymore, I feel that you should look to yourself and consider their perspective.

Did they actually do anything negative to you before they found out that you had started looking for a job elsewhere?#

By your description, you broke trust with them, they reacted at review time and hit you in the pocket.

But you are right, moving would probably be your easiest route forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...a lot of senior staff got poached away...

With that history, I think they probably assume most staff are looking outside for opportunities. If they think you won't move, or can be be easily replaced, they won't offer any extra incentive to stay. Its that simple.

You just have to see if you can do better leaving or not. Few places, reward loyalty or long service these days. Most people are just a number on a balance sheet.

By the time some one has looked properly for other opportunities. By that I mean done a CV, done some interviews, seen what they have been offered elsewhere, its probably too late to change their mind anyway. As they are in the mindset of leaving for some time at that point.

We lost a very key person recently, which has changed perspectives at all levels. For some it was the awareness of new opportunities, for others the lack of them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I may become more active in the job market as I just dont think I can trust them anymore?

Well what is there not to trust??? If anything they have been straight with you! You are either on a high enough salary already for them not to be too worried about you leaving or they do not consider you critical to there operations and feel they can survive without you!

If you want to stay where you are then you know the terms. If you are not happy with that then it is time to move on. But I wouldn't start burning bridges until you have decided what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Really think about this.
    By your description, you broke trust with them, they reacted at review time and hit you in the pocket.

Broke trust with them???

People interview / apply for positions at other companies all the time. I wouldn't think of it in terms of trust. See how far that trust goes if the company needs to downsize.

I think you hit the nail on the head OP when you said they think you're a safe bet not to kick up a fuss. Your best option if you want to earn more money is to move jobs.

vetinari wrote: »
    Broke trust with them???

People interview / apply for positions at other companies all the time. I wouldn't think of it in terms of trust. See how far that trust goes if the company needs to downsize.

I think you hit the nail on the head OP when you said they think you're a safe bet not to kick up a fuss. Your best option if you want to earn more money is to move jobs.

There is a difference between just working for a company and having a career with a company. To develop a career there must be trust, they trust you to stay so that their investment in development/training etc is not wasted, you trust them that the effort put into developing will result in advancement/salary increase.

If trust is broken then employees find themselves in a non-developing position with minimal opportunities. Or is trust is broken the other way the company ends up with a minimally productive employee looking to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

I guess it depends on the industry.
    In mine (software engineering), I've been in companies where 50% of the staff had moved jobs within 4 years.
    Worrying about whether the management think you're not trustworthy is not a consideration.

True.

The average tenure of my team is 11 years. :-)

Advertisement