Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being penalized ( hours cut ) for issues caused by understaffing and undertraining

Options
  • 15-06-2015 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've being working in a local hotel since late March. I have worked in similar environments before in a variety of roles ( bar, banquets, restaurant, etc ) so I generally knew what I was doing.

However, I wasn't trained up for the role ( I never did the standard ' training day ' everyone is supposed to do ) and by and large was left to my own devices.

This normally wouldn't be a bad thing as I prefer to learn from my mistakes but there was one problem; The place is understaffed, there have been times where I was literally on the floor on my own when the place was full. This resulted in me making a lot of mistakes simply because I had too much at the same time.

While I know some mistakes were my fault ( such as body smell, which I resolved when raised ) the simple fact was most of the mistakes I made wouldn't have happened if we weren't understaffed.

This led to a recent review where I was flagged for all this. Again, all well and good and I understood the issues ( albeit, begrudgingly. ) The manager in charge of me told he was taking me off the floor as a result but there would be other work around in the hotel.

As a result, I've seen my hours go from 35 - 40 a week last month down to literally zero this week. When I questioned him about this, he told that people were after coming back and he promised them hours.

I am extremely annoyed at this ( not to mention it's affected my self-confidence ) It's one thing to flag performance issues but it's another to basically penalize me like this for something that could have largely been prevented if the place was properly staffed and I received proper training ( a few of the others confided in me that they felt I wasn't properly trained. )

I'm not a very confronting person but I do know that I am being screwed over here. How should I approach this situation. Should I be patient, be more confronting of my boss or maybe I should just cut my losses and leave ASAP?

And yes, I am seeking alternative work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Look for somewhere else to work..
    Learn by your experience and get a job somewhere better ran.

Advertisement