Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Query for peltier cooling experts

• 15-06-2015 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking to put together a peltier cooler as a small project. I found a previously set up peltier cooler in a 'toy box' in work. It probably doesn't even work anymore but I took it apart and I was wondering if anybody can tell me what the part in the centre of the pic is?

Is it like a temperature sensor? The 3 wires all go to a molex connector

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I dont think peltier coolers have thermocouples, none that I've used have. any kind of make or model or overview picture of the unit might help identify it.

Thinking about it it could be the heater and a temp sensor , the molex has +12V +5V and the inner two pins are for ground. It's probably the 12v for heating , 5v for sensing and a common ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭j4vier

thanks for that papu

I have added a few more pictures, hopefully they can help.

From looking at it do you think that the cooler part is the top part or the bottom part?

the bottom part has none of these extra components, just a heatsink and a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

So I've labeled some of the things in that picture there , the Peltier cooler element is just that metal square with the two cables , I'm assuming the Hotside is then in contact with that big conductive block and the heatsink is there to remove the heat.

The Peltiers only have 2 connections , postive (red) and negative (black) anything else is either a Fan or thermocouple connection (those white wires look suspiciously like they could be from a thermocouple.)

btw what college are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭j4vier

I think you are right, the middle component with the two white wires should be a thermocouple. The other component with the two larger black wires could be a thermostat perhaps?

Something like this

http://www.bi-metal-thermostat.com/photo/pl1809036-oem_coffee_machine_snap_action_bimetal_thermostat_with_long_lifespan.jpg

what I can't explain is why is there heatsinks on both sides? it probably wasn't used for cooling at all then

I thought for cooling it should be set up more like something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311211779381?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

heatsink on one side only and 2 fans on top of the cold side of the peltiers

I'm in UCD by the way

Advertisement