Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Granny cables and extensions?

Options
  • 15-06-2015 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭

I understand that the granny cable comes with a warning against using an extension cable.

I'm going to be staying in Trabolgan for a week shortly and they don't have a charging point. There is a standard speed charge point in Midleton but that would take an age. The nearest FCP is 35 miles away which means that leaving there at 80% would leave me around 50% by the time I arrive and needing to keep 30% of that for the trip back to the FCP when I leave.

Can I safely use an extension cable on the odd occasion? If it needs to be a certain standard or rating, what would I need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

AFAIR the Nissan granny cable draws about the same as my BMW one which is 12 Amps. We've all used extension cables on occasion but I'm very nervous about it and I generally keep an eye on the car and cable during charging. I'd never leave my car on it overnight for example.

1. The Socket on the wall is at best rated to 13 Amps, so any additional draw beyond the car (for example by plugging something else into the extension cord) can very easily cost you a fuse.

2. Many of the extension cords are poorly manufactured, That level of load for that amount of time is more likely to show those problems.

3. If part of the extension cord is outside you need to make sure it's weatherproofed, and that has to include a cover for the plug because that certainly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So a combination of this
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-heavy-duty-extension-lead-1g-240v-10m/44635

and this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Waterproof-outdoor-Cable-Extension-Cover-plugsocket-box-pack-of-1-/251849258305?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa362b541

Would do the trick?

I wouldn't intend to do this often, but for this Cork run it would be useful. Would only be plugged in for a few hours while I'm in the house beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Yup, I'd call that a fairly reasonable solution to the problem.

Extension leads are perfectly safe if not used above their rating.

The Nissan portable EVSE uses about 10-11 amps but always try get an extension rated for the full 13 amps.

Anything will do to waterproof as long as it fits.

You must fully extend the extension to prevent heat build up.

The house wiring needs to be capable but most should be unless it was wired incorrectly with incorrectly rated fuses and wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I'm not sparks, but I'd say you'd be ok - make sure the cable is fully unwound and spread out before using and not knotted. Monitor the temperature of the cable in case it warms up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

Your Nissan Granny cable is 6 Meters might be long enough to reach the car, If staying in an house there you may be able to get the car right up to the house. As said most domestic extension leads are for low power use, get one with a decent power rating and don't use when coiled up. the Nissan granny cable consumes about 10 amps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Bought a heavy duty 13a one, 10 metres. And a cover in case it rains.

It will be very rare to actually use it, and it will be closely monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Tonto67

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I understand that the granny cable comes with a warning against using an extension cable.

I'm going to be staying in Trabolgan for a week shortly and they don't have a charging point. There is a standard speed charge point in Midleton but that would take an age. The nearest FCP is 35 miles away which means that leaving there at 80% would leave me around 50% by the time I arrive and needing to keep 30% of that for the trip back to the FCP when I leave.

Can I safely use an extension cable on the odd occasion? If it needs to be a certain standard or rating, what would I need?

Most extensions are rated at 10 amps when fully unwound. So you would be pushing it pulling 12 amps for a long period.

If it were me I would get a length of 2.5 cable (the shorter the better) and make my own. If you can wire a plug you can make an extension.

Where ever you plug in, the car should be the only high current draw on that circuit and fully unwind all cords to allow heat to dissipate.

13 amp extension fully unwound, you'll be grand.

Advertisement